First Letter of Word to upper case (1 Viewer)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:46
===
Thank you for your suggestion, but we have had no success.
Could you please look at the attached database and advise use what we have done wrong?

Thank you Nicole
Hi. I just did a quick check.

Attachments

• First_Letter_Uppercase.mdb
    276 KB · Views: 93

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:46
you have Combobox there and the Rowsource is missing.
try.

Attachments

• First_Letter_Uppercase.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 86

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:46
I created a table with two fields, an Autonumber and a Text field. I entered one record as "a." Went to table design and added an Input Mask of >L.
You set a format on the table. Remove the mask and then open the table. Do you see upper or lower or more likely a mix? In my opinion, you should NEVER, EVER put a format on a table column. All that does is to hide the actual contents of the table. Format the output if that is what you want or format the data before it is actually saved using either the control's AfterUpdate event (you can't change data using code in the control's BeforeUpdate event) or using the form's BeforeUpdate event.

I'm sure you've seen lots of posts about date issues. A common cause is using Now() to save the date and not knowing you have a time component that is making your search not work because you have formatted the column in the table to not show time.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You set a format on the table. Remove the mask and then open the table. Do you see upper or lower or more likely a mix? In my opinion, you should NEVER, EVER put a format on a table column. All that does is to hide the actual contents of the table. Format the output if that is what you want or format the data before it is actually saved using either the control's AfterUpdate event (you can't change data using code in the control's BeforeUpdate event) or using the form's BeforeUpdate event.

I'm sure you've seen lots of posts about date issues. A common cause is using Now() to save the date and not knowing you have a time component that is making your search not work because you have formatted the column in the table to not show time.
@Pat Hartman, I removed the Input Mask and the data in the table showed "a" and "A," just as the result of the DLookup() calls indicated.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the Input Mask. I am getting the impression that you're talking about the Format property, based on this comment:
You set a format on the table.
Just to clarify, there was nothing in the Format property of my experimental table.

My little experiment was triggered by your previous comment, such that:
Just FYI, Input masks do not change data.
And all I was saying was when I entered a lower case "a," the Input Mask changed that data into an upper case "A."

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:46
Apparently I was fixated on the use of special characters used to format codes such as phone numbers and SSN's and Zip codes which are generally NOT stored in the table. It looks like >< do actually change the character to upper case and store it that way. Even with that, I would still NOT use an input mask to do this job. Use the form's BeforeUpdate event or the control's AfterUpdate event to apply proper case if that is what you want. The input mask as used in the sample does not allow spaces so existing data does not conform.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:46
My download had a > character in the format property of the table?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
My download had a > character in the format property of the table?
@Gasman If you're talking to me, because I said "there was nothing in the Format property of my experimental table," I was referring to the table I created in post #15.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:46
@theDBguy I've lost track through all this TBH.
I just wanted to mention that the O/P had the > in the table format for the field and that was the one I downloaded.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom