First time doing something serious in Acess (1 Viewer)

isaacalves27

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:42
I have three important difficulties that I hope I can explain. I have just one tabel with all my list of people. Each one of this as a lot of different collumns. So i have created a LOT of Masks to each one situation of these people. (If its possible i would like to show it to someone).
My problem is:
1.I have created lots of masks like i said but most of them are equal the only difference is the place where they work. But i would like to reduce them by teaching my mask to take just those who follow the conditions i give by pressing the button that i press (don t know if i explained my self). To move myself betwenn the masks i have created using Struments--Database Utilities---Tool to help organizing everything (sorry but my acess is in italian).
(I ve studied programming and i remember that we should never repeat our functions and i would like to follow the same rule.)

2. I would like to put a Foto to all the people but that i could see both when i print and when i look at the data base in the PC. Is that possible? How can i do it?

3. I have changed the way it opens the file and now i don t have acess to all the functions i had before. How can i have the way i had it before??

Thanks for ur help.
PS::eek: If this isn t the right forum just say so and i will change forum.

Last edited:

isaacalves27

Registered User.
Local time
First time time doing something serious in Access

Why didn't anyone ansewred my thread? Was it not understendable? If so i will try to expose my problem better just please say something... Thanks anyway guys i know i can hope in one ansewr of u.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 09:42
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what is the problem. However, you say

Each one of this as a lot of different collumns.

If you're saying your table grows by adding more columns instead of rows, then you have normalization problems and anything you do will be much more harder. I'd suggest that you read up on normalization and 1st Normal Form and make sure you understand how your data relate to each other.

HTH.

isaacalves27

Registered User.
Local time
Ok . I will try to explain better my database cause i understood that other wise U won t be able to help me. So I have just one table with all the data. This table as 23 collumns, because each one (Name is the Primary Key ) as a lots of data that I need. Adress, phone, cell phone, Adress in the country of origin, etc…. . Then I created a lots of Masks which in Record Origin select the people I want. (ex: one selects those who are in sweden and that are married. One other selects the guys that are ther but are not married. One other selects the girls…) etc. Since this people comes from a lots of countries I just have a lot of Masks created. (ex: I have one to Sweden, one other to Danmark etc….). To use this Table I have created a Main Switchbord (with other Switchbords) that help me moving me thru the Masks I have created.
Mainswitch bord: Danmark; Sweden; Finland etc…. Inside Danmark: Couples; Boys; etc..

Problems :

1-Is it possible to Open the Mask according to the switch I press? (I would like to create just one for situation “Couples” etc.. and that that Mask would have inside the records from one of the countries es. Pressing Danmark; Couples should open the Mask with the couples I need in Danmark.)

2. Is it possible to have inside the Mask a foto? This should appear both when I see the Mask or when I do a Report. How can I do?

3. I have changed some of the settings on Open File and now I don’t see all the things I had before. How can I go and change that again???

Thank u for ur pacience.:)

Banana

Local time
What do you mean by 1) "Mask", and 2) "Foto"?

When you say Mask, I think of Input Mask which formats how you enter the data (e.g., I would apply input mask to my date fields so it'd be always in same format, MM/DD/YYYY, even if user didn't enter it the same way.

isaacalves27

Registered User.
Local time
Expalining me better..

My problem is that i use an Italian Access so i dont know esactly how things call them selfs in the english version. But anyway:

1)Mask: In access u can create: Tables; Querys; Reports and Masks. I dont know if this is the Input Mask u talk about. Anyway i use them both to enter the data and to see the data i have in my table.

2)By "Foto" i mean photo of someone for es: his\her face

Thanks for ur help.

Banana

Local time
Now it's getting a bit clearer.

What you are calling "masks", everyone else call "forms".

1) You can use Switchboard wizard under Utilities to help you create a switchboard form. You also can use wizard to help create buttons that opens form you need. Warning: Wizard uses obsolete codes. You can search the forums on "open form" to see how to do that. There's also plenty of information on creating a switchboard. Search the forums for that as well.

2) You can copy your photo from whatever application you were using, then paste it into Access. At least that's what I did with mine.

3) If you disabled something in Access, you may be able to bypass it by holding down the shift key when you open the database.

4) I strongly suggest you to read up on "normalization", "database theory", "first normal form" to make sure your data is stored properly so you will have easy time working with the database.

isaacalves27

Registered User.
Local time
Where can i find this?

Banana said:
4) I strongly suggest you to read up on "normalization", "database theory", "first normal form" to make sure your data is stored properly so you will have easy time working with the database.
1.Where can i find something about these matters?

2.I have copied the phot like u said but instead of the photo i see the name of the file. Why?

3.Just a simple question: How can di that a mask opens it self maximized? It s sounds like a stupid question but i ve lost lots oftime trying to find out how.

;) I REALLY Thank U for ur help on the other points.

Last edited:

Banana

Local time
1) There's lot of places to search. You can search this forums, you can google it, too. You could start with Wikipedia.

2) Hmm. Not sure. I will find out when I return to work. You also could search the forums for this. (If you didn't see it, there's a search button on the blue menubar near the top of every forums page).

3) Again, search the forums. This is something I've never done myself, but I'm sure that it has been already answered in the forums.

It will help you a lot if you try and search for answers first, and when you are absolutely sure that there is no threads covering your question, start thread *only* about that question. Asking several questions all in single thread may not get your questions answered.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

WindSailor

Registered User.
Local time
Ohhh yes it has been addressed many times... this is just one example...

And it is in the same immediate forum:

Working on Design Tutorial.
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=100211

There is a lot of good information in there of which you can not digest or learn in a short time.
And plenty of examples in that thread, be sure and look at them all. Please take your time and read it, it will be time well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom