Floating Forms (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 14:29
1593615312433.png

Above is an image of the quote system I have developed over the years for my company. Is there any advantage to the tabbed format over floating forms?

I am thinking of doing a new design and wondered if there was any real advantage to the tabbed forms I see on all the MS templates.

~Matt

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:29
Advantage? Not sure. I think it's a matter of personal preference. The tab display just happens to match most modern UIs (like browsers).

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
View attachment 83179

Above is an image of the quote system I have developed over the years for my company. Is there any advantage to the tabbed format over floating forms?

I am thinking of doing a new design and wondered if there was any real advantage to the tabbed forms I see on all the MS templates.

~Matt
I see no advantage to using tabbed forms, so I don't. I one of my apps, users need to view 2 forms at the same time. I'm not sure how I'd deal with that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I see no advantage to using tabbed forms, so I don't. I one of my apps, users need to view 2 forms at the same time. I'm not sure how I'd deal with that.
Hi Bob. Sorry to interject, but I remember that topic. I just had a thought. Maybe, you can display the two forms as subforms in a single form. Just my 2 cents...

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Bob. Sorry to interject, but I remember that topic. I just had a thought. Maybe, you can display the two forms as subforms in a single form. Just my 2 cents...
Thanks for the suggestion but me and my like minded dinosaur client are happy with the way it is ;)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion but me and my like minded dinosaur client are happy with the way it is ;)
Of course. I was just reacting to the part where you said:
I'm not sure how I'd deal with that.
Perhaps, for you, there's no other way than what you're currently using. Cheers!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Personally, I create pop up forms...and almost never have had a need to have more than one screen (I call them screen because it may be a main form that also has an embedded subform) open at a time. In the rare event I would need to have more than one screen, they would not be tabbed.
I think the Tabbed view just looks unprofessional--it looks like you have Access open in Design View, which is a "look" I avoid at all cost in my apps.

Now having an actual form with TABS...that's totally different. That does match what other people see in UI's, to me, and I use it in almost all my apps. (precisely so I don't have to have a bunch of forms open)

Just one man's opinion. :)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:29
You could mix tabbed view with normal forms if you open all of the latter as popups and don't allow them to be resized, but I cannot think of a reason to mix like that. If just playing around with a db for helping here, I just let it go as tabbed, but personally find that the view looks amateurish and worse, you cannot view two forms at the same time if they're not popups. How useful is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom