Football and other games (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:09
Liverpool Football Club was taken over by a couple of Americans today, and i thought our friends across the pond might like to read this

George Gillett: Tom and I have been involved in sports for a long time. When you sit in our little country you get an unusual perspective and probably an incorrect one, because we think our sports are pretty popular. Then you come over here and see the tribal aspects of the fans and their affection and support for the team and realise it's a game which is watched by billions. You quickly see this is the most popular sport in the world and that this is one of the most popular clubs in the world. To have the opportunity of getting involved in this is a rare privilege.

Their full statement is here

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
They play pretty good, just not good enough consisyently, but we expect that in the long term we will win the Premier league and more cups, but money cannot buy everything, but it surely helps.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Yes, we had to have the deal signed by a date that's fairly close but slips my mind so that LFC can guarantee a new stadium then Euro cash would be available to develop a large inner city area of Liverpool with the new staium as part, and of course the release of the area of the old plus many old terraced house owned by LFC.
I must add that not all local residents are happy, its a complex issue.

brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I watch these games regularily on the weekend. You know the best bit? There is no cut to the commercial break every 20 seconds.

Has anyone noticed a US knee-jerk to the Ruskies investments in this sport or is it my imagination :confused:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
dan-cat said:
Has anyone noticed a US knee-jerk to the Ruskies investments in this sport or is it my imagination :confused:

Hadn't thought about it like that, not American paranoia is it???

BTW the bit I liked was this
...we think our sports are pretty popular. Then you come over here and see the tribal aspects of the fans and their affection and support for the team and realise it's a game which is watched by billions.
:D :D

actually I thought Rich would pick up on it.

Brian

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
actually I thought Rich would pick up on it.

Brian
Well I would have but the Americans are soo sensitive about anything that might be slightly critical of their way of life that I decided to be diplomatic :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Hadn't thought about it like that, not American paranoia is it???

Reminds me of a very funny line I heard in that movie "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"Oh no, That's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe has that"

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rich said:
Well I would have but the Americans are soo sensitive about anything that might be slightly critical of their way of life that I decided to be diplomatic :D

Please don't give me such shocks at my age, I hurt my back falling off the chair. ;)

brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:

What do you mean 'might'? :mad: :p

statsman

Local time
Today, 11:09
Maybe we can get Man U and Liverpool to play a derby.
Call it the America's Cup
Whoops, already taken.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Why are you ignoring Aston Villa , also american owned? and to maintain the theme Tony Bliar could present the cup. :D

Brian

doco

Power User
Local time
Today, 08:09
Well I would have but the Americans are soo sensitive about anything that might be slightly critical of their way of life that I decided to be diplomatic

We yanks are accused of sensitivity purely out of abject envy and jealousy :p :D

BTW, real Football is not played with a round ball...

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
BTW, real Football is not played with a round ball...
I suppose it's played with an egg and loads of cissy padding with an abundance of monotonous pauses between play?

doco

Power User
Local time
Hehehehe, Yup! That's the one. Like to see you play the game without the 'cissy padding'. Wait, no, that's those crazy Ausies... :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rugby Football is also played without the cissie padding, they have the decency to call their game Rugby not Football i.e. a game played with the feet, I realise that might be a concept a little difficult for some Americans to grasp. :rolleyes:

Brian

doco

Power User
Local time
Yeah, it is for this American. I mean, Illeagle Use of Hands! For the Defense?!. Now that is definitely a cissy move. LOL!

Actually, I have no business commenting I guess. I really don't care for sports that much, unless you want to call Poker a sport. :rolleyes: I haven't watched a pro/college sporting event in years. Anyway, to me Soccer (foooootball) is a lot like golf on steroids - there doesn't seem to be any strategy beyond organized chaos - 'hit the ball; hope it goes where you planned; move to the next'. But anyway, who needs pads on the field when the real violence is taking place in the stands. You couldn't pay me to go to one of those things.

I rodeoed when I was young and dumb and full of c*m (rode bulls and bare-back bronc); did some power lifting and of course took in all of the scholastic sports with my two sons and now with the grandsons. But, I could live quite well without pro sports and am convinced this is in reality, true for all.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rugby Football is also played without the cissie padding, they have the decency to call their game Rugby not Football i.e. a game played with the feet, I realise that might be a concept a little difficult for some Americans to grasp. :rolleyes:

Brian

The dollar is never too far away :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom