Form design query (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 14:04
I have a dilemma about a form I am designing.
See below the ERD diagram. The main form is based on incidentLog, then the students and categories are added via pop-out forms. Similarly for the incidentDetails...
However would like to summarise this in form underneath but not sure how to best display this. I don't want it showing until all data has attempted to be added via the pop-out forms. Also a student may have more than one incidentDetails record but categories are linked to student as a whole so I don't want to repeat this info...
Can anyone offer ideas how to design this?

Attachments

• incident erd.png
    incident erd.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 169
  • incident form.png
    incident form.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 163

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:04
Hmm, a little concerned about those Relationships. Should be more like...

Incident Log > Incident Log Details
Incident Log Details > Incident Log Students OR Incident Log > Incident Log Students
Incident Log > Incident Log Category

At which point you could use Main Form > Incident Log and Subform > Incident Log Details. Would need more information to know where to but the Subform for Incident Log Students or if it's just in a Combo Box.

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 14:04
Sorry we put a lot of thought into the relationships design. So I really think this is the best way.
To explain, an incident has generic details recorded in tblIncidentLog, then we can tag several students to the incident and each is stored in tblIncidentStudent. Then we added tblIncidentCat so as to 'tag' each incident with multiple categories. Finally the tblIncidentLogDetails is linked to the tblIncidentStudent to add details pertinent to the student. We have the option of multiple details being added as different situations require varying info to be included - so it may be necessary to enter more than one record per student.

The subform I am trying to design is not to actually enter the data - this will be popped out in a form with multiple fields - it is just to summarise students involved, categories tagged to the student and the pertinent details.

Hope this makes sense!

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, well that's fine.

Hmm, not sure I get that but if you create a query that gives you the results you want on the Form you can then create the Form.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why does every field name start with "fld"?
If you don't want a form to open until all data is entered, add a button to open it. When one of the data entry points is a continuous form, you have no way of knowing that the "last" record has been entered unless you start with a count of the rows you intend to input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom