Form layout (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:22
I think someone suggested I could have a Continuous Form with controls in it's header showing data relative to each entry.
So far I have a Popup Form with a table dragged into the detail. But it doesn't seem to look right or be correctly sized.
Is this the right approach ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:22
Can you post a screenshot?

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DBGuy,

I believe I have the logic right but not the appearance. e.g. the subform won't move and also doesn't grow if more entries.
And I'm unsure how to make it a "Continuous Form" or which Form that should be (main or sub Form).

Attachments

• access1.jpg
    access1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 29

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:22
you need to use the Vertical/Horizontal "Anchor" property (set to Both) of the subform.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Is that in the property sheet Arne ? I can't find a "Vertical/Horizontal" or "Anchor".

arnelgp

Local time
on the property sheet->Format, scroll down.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I can see the whole thing (Caption to Palette Source under Format) if that.s what you mean, but what is the name of the entry to set to "both" ?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:22
Set Scroll Bars property to Both.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Juine/Arne.
I have 2 Forms, "Form1" and "table1Subform".
I did find the Hor/Ver anchor entries. They were not in "table1Subform" properties as expected but in the (different??) "table1Subform" as a control on Form1. I set them to 'Both' but it made no difference. But I could set Top and Left to 0.

In order to see those properties "table1Subform" needs an orange coloured outline. Sometimes I get this, but other times I can click 100 times and still not get it. What is the secret there?

In Design mode the two white horizontal rows where it's written "Detail" and "Form Footer" with wee downpointing arrows, they are so wide you can't even see/find the RH edge. Why are they that big, and how do you reduce their width ? Or is that how they're meant to be ?
I'll attach a screenshot.

Attachments

• access2.jpg
    access2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 67

arnelgp

Local time
you resize them by dragging them up or down.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
> you resize them by dragging them up or down.
I don't quite follow, how does that change the width?
Yes I thought the border was it but find often you have to keep clicking until it eventually gets it. I was hoping there was a more reliable way.

arnelgp

Local time
I was hoping there was a more reliable way
the more "reliable" is selecting the subform in the Combobox on Property Sheet.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Subform container is in the Property Sheet list. Click once anywhere over the subform to select the subform container. Click again or double click to select object within the container. Or open the form (or report) object directly from Navigation Pane when the main object is not open.

If focus is on object within container, click anywhere on main form outside the container or click container border to get out.

The design view display is normal.

Last edited:

isladogs

CID VIP
Local time
Today, 21:22
You can also select the subform container by lassoing part of it.
Once selected, you can right click and select Open Subform in new window

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:22
Do NOT just drag a table or query onto a form. Create a proper form so you have events where you can validate the data and control updating.

Then follow the other folk's instructions for sizing.

Also, you might want the main form to be bound to the parent record if you want to show common data. Don't forget to set the master/child links on the subform control if you didn't define relationships using the relationship window.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Can't drag a table or query onto a form. I tried. Can set a subform container SourceObject property to a table or query.

isladogs

CID VIP
Local time
Today, 21:22
Do NOT just drag a table or query onto a form.
I agree that would be a bad idea but after testing I don't believe its even possible to do so.
Whilst you can drag another form or a report onto a form, that doesn't work for a table or query

In testing, I found it is sometimes possible to copy and paste a table onto a form providing it is less than 2048 characters in all.
Sometimes you get the data. Other times this copies the field names
Whatever the reason for this difference, in each case, the layout is horrible and I can't think of any reason for ever doing this.

1627156704147.png

EDIT:
June beat me by a few seconds

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tricky stuff this end/ Navigation pane, lasso... I'm never sure what things are (or where they are) and it's real battle getting the visul side of things setup. The properties vary depending on where you've clicked. I couldn't find that Anchor for ages,, even then when changed it didn't seem to make any difference.
I did drag the table onto the Form, and Access called it "Table1 subForm". I took out the space.
Initially it was roughly in the middle (of the Form it was on). I found properties for Top/Left and set them to zero. Then I tried to alter it's height, and now I can't select it, or even find it (as opposed to the Form its on). This is that last screen shot. It seems to now be the "whole thing" and I've not be able to get back to the Height property to undo that setting.
If I run it (attached screenshot) and try to move the bottom record selector closer to the top one, one of them disappears.
Anyway I can change the bottom '1 of 3' and Contents correctly changes. But if more than 4 items it won't show them all, there's a scroll bar instead. Normally that'd be fine, but I don't envisage Contents even needing more room than is now showing.
No doubt it'll come right eventually, somehow or I'll fluke it, or one of you will tell me. I do want to have a "Continuous Form" mainly to see it functioning. I 'm, not sure if it is yet.
I can delete it of course and start again, but faced with all the issues, kind of keen to resolve than.
I have not set any Parent/Child links afaik.

Attachments

• access3.jpg
    access3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom