Form not retaining data (1 Viewer)

M

MChancellor

I have a database that until I put it out on the network drive retained information previously entered into a form when I opened it again later. However, now when I open the form (even though I have previously entered information and this information is stored in the table) it appears as if there has never been any data entered into the table, the only exception being that the autonumber field increments to the next number.

My question is: How do I get the form to hold the information from one time to the next? There will only be about 3 or 4 users of this database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
M. Chancellor

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:44
Access objects are loaded into memory on each computer. Therefore, one user cannot see what the form looked like when another user last used it.

M

MChancellor

So, if I were to open it on one computer and then close it and go reopen it on another computer it wouldn't retain the information in the form, even though it was stored on the network drive?

Also, if it is stored in memory on one computer, if the user were to close the database and get out of the Access program completely, would it retain the information in the form the next time it was opened on that same computer?

After having tried to open it on a different computer, I came back and opened it on the computer I am using, and the first few times it didn't work, but later when I opened the form again, the information was back in the form just as if I had entered it a few minutes before.

I'm a mite bit confused by the whole thing. Should I count on the information coming up in the form? or should I just expect it not to? The first few times I tried to open the form I only had one window of MS Access open. When I just now opened the form, I had 2 windows open of MS Access on the same desktop. Would that make any difference?

Thanks for any help,
Misti

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:44
The form will not retain data once the database is closed. The time it worked, you may have minimized the form rather than closed it. Closing a form should cause all data entered in unbound fields to be lost. This may not be 100% true since Access does keep objects in memory and I'm not sure what would cause them to be refreshed. But in any event the presence/absence of the data would be unpredictable. Think about it. What would Access (or you) have to do to actually modify a form? You would have to open the form in design view, make the changes, and then save the form.

M

MChancellor

The thing with this form which was rather odd is that all the fields on the form ARE bound to an underlying table. Most usually when this is the case, you can close a form, and come back hours, days, weeks, months or years later and open the form and still be able to see that data, as it is saved in the underlying table. At least, this has been my experience while using MS Access on a single computer.

For that reason, I found it rather odd that once I moved it to the network drive (rather than the harddrive of one machine) that it suddenly would not show the data that was saved in the underlying table of the same database on the same drive. What is more interesting to note is that later, on the same network drive (after having opened the database on 2 different computers - though not at the same time) the information in the underlying table resurfaced on the form.

I don't know what changed to cause it to work, but it is working at the present. I do appreciate the help, and I apologize for being a dunce about it all. :)

Thanks again,
M. Chancellor

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom