Form Queries vs Unassigned Objects in navigator (1 Viewer)

GaleT

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:32
Hi,
I was asked to help someone create a view in an Access Database. The person who was responsible for the database has left the company and so the department is scrambling to make some small changes. They heard I have recently been learning about Access so they asked me for help.

Rather than start from scratch I suggested that we copy and modify an existing view that is listed under "Form Queries" in the navigator. That worked just fine but the new query is now listed in the navigator under "Unassigned Objects" instead of "Form Queries". How do I get it listed as a "Form Query"?

I have never created a query in Access so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. But I am hesitent to experiment in someone elses database... well other than copying and modifying a copied view that is :) She can use the query from where it is but I would like to understand what's going on.

Gale

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
A form query is created in association with a form. You created the query via another method. The fact that this stand-alone query exists at all is good. The fact that it is listed under "unassigned" simply means you haven't associated it with a form yet. There is nothing to stop you from using it and once you do (such as making it the record source of a form or report), it might change designation. But it is no biggie as how it is listed. What is far more important is THAT it is listed and you can open it to verify its operation.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:32
Isn't this just a result of the navigator option "Tables and Related Views" instead of something else like "Object Type"?
In older versions the option was "Unassigned Objects"?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Gale. Try:
  1. Right click on the new view
  2. Select Add to group...
  3. Click on Form Queries
Hope that helps...

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 01:32
I prefer to just set it to "Object Type", and "All Access Objects". YMMV...

GaleT

Registered User.
Local time
A form query is created in association with a form. You created the query via another method. The fact that this stand-alone query exists at all is good. The fact that it is listed under "unassigned" simply means you haven't associated it with a form yet. There is nothing to stop you from using it and once you do (such as making it the record source of a form or report), it might change designation. But it is no biggie as how it is listed. What is far more important is THAT it is listed and you can open it to verify its operation.
Thank you The_Doc_Man, that totally makes sense. I'm glad there is no issue with leaving it where it is although I will see if she wants to assign it to a group as suggested by TheDBguy, zeroaccess and Micron. It would make sense to use the query for a report... another area I have no experience in but this is interesting and I would like to pursue it to completion.

Thanks again,

Gale

GaleT

Registered User.
Local time
Thank theDBguy, zeroaccess and Micron. I appreciate the help and I am off to read up on queries and reports now that the "emergency" has been squelched. She (the person who asked for help) is a real trooper, not experienced in any type of programming or database design but she is trying to learn. I have mentioned this site to her and hope she joins us. I am happy to help her but the support here is so outstanding it would be good for her to be involved.

Thanks again to all of you :)

Gale

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank theDBguy, zeroaccess and Micron. I appreciate the help and I am off to read up on queries and reports now that the "emergency" has been squelched. She (the person who asked for help) is a real trooper, not experienced in any type of programming or database design but she is trying to learn. I have mentioned this site to her and hope she joins us. I am happy to help her but the support here is so outstanding it would be good for her to be involved.

Thanks again to all of you :)

Gale
Hi Gale. Good luck to both of you. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom