Form Tab Colours (1 Viewer)

clewless

Local time
Today, 10:25
Hello, I am basically self taught, and would like to colour code my form tabs. (Access 2010)

Is this possible and how?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:25
Check out the Pressed Color property (and the other ones as well).

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:25
I have a couple examples of different approaches and effects
Tabcolors.jpg
Some of these were prior to the pressed color property being available. See if any of these examples are what you are looking for. If interested I can talk you through. The one above requires you to makes some labels and then will move them into correct position. If you look at this in design view the labels are just listed at the top of the form. The code moves them into place so you do not have to go through the tedious positioning.

Attachments

• MajP TabControlColor.mdb
    464 KB · Views: 165

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst you can change the pressed colour etc of the various tabs, you cannot give each tab a different colour (as with Excel worksheet tab colours)

If that is your aim, you have to simulate the effect by hiding the actual tabs and using captioned labels to look like tabs
Danny Lesandrini did an article about that idea many years ago on his DatabaseJournal.com website

EDIT I see MajP has shown exactly that effect whilst I was typing

MajP

Local time
To echo above here is my form in design view

design.jpg

I need a properly colored label for each page, a lblStrip, and a lblHilite. The code moves and sizes these to fake a color tab control.

clewless

Local time
Thanks to all who have replied so far. It is my aim to have each tab a different colour (as can be done in Excel worksheet tabs). ie. Very similar to MajP's 1st example, except I don't necessarily want the whole form the same colour. I would like the tab to stand out, but the form to be much easier on the eye. My problem is that I don't have any idea how to achieve this. I don't know how to find the "Pressed Color property" & Access Help was no help to me.

Just to remind you, I am a plumber & have self taught myself Access. I don't have any formal training & consequently, probably only aware of a fraction of what Access has to offer.

Thanks again.

MajP

Local time
When clicking on a tab control in design view you can select a page or the entire tab. Notice in the above image it is the entire control. And in the property sheet it has the name of the tab control at the very top. If you click wrong you will get a single page and not get the same properties.

clewless

Local time
Hi, Still can't find "Pressed Color" option. Here is a screen shot of my Access 2010 in design view. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for your patience.

1611153092474.png

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
I don't think your clicking correctly Click just above the tabs or use the combo box of controls find your tab control if you let it name itself it should start with tab

clewless

Local time
I tried using the Tab Control button (top right in my screen shot). I don't know what you mean by "let it name itself".

I am doing the following:
1) Opening Form View in Design View
2) Right clicking on a tab (ie Contact Details)
3) Selecting "Form Properties" which opens the Property Sheet. In the selection box, "Form" is already selected.
4) Clicking the Tab Control at this point clears the selection box
5) I then scroll down the selection box to (in my case) Tabctl58

In none of these steps do I see the"Pressed Color" option.

MajP

Local time
What version of Access do you have? As mentioned, I believe the depressed color property is relatively new.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The screenshot is from A2010 which I believe was the first version which contains the pressed colour property.
However you won't see the property if any of the following are true:
a) your database is an MDB file
b) the form was created in a MDB file later converted to ACCDB
c) use Windows themed controls on Forms is not ticked in Access Options...Current Database

If the property still doesn't appear for an ACCDB file after ticking the checkbox in c), you may need to create a new form in A2010

clewless

Local time
Hi,

Thank you all for your help so far.

I am using Access 2010 and the database is an MDB file. I don't know how to change it to a ACCBD file format. I tried "Save As" but was only given the option to save as an MDB file. Does this mean I have to create a new form in ACCDB and how do I ensure I am creating it in the correct format?

Thanks

clewless

Local time
Tried File - Save As. Only given the option to save as an MDB file

1611334507696.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
File... Save As is just used to save under a different name
To change the file type to ACCDB, click File...Save and Publish...ACCDB

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Its version specific.
I'm referring to A2010 which is what the OP has. There is no Save And Publish menu item in A365

1611350688514.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom