Forms and Fields (1 Viewer)

Petersen

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:47
Goal: I'm trying to create a small program to capture responses to interview questions. I first want to show a list of 100 or so questions which I will select 10. I then want those 10 questions to show on a form. I will then supply responses to the questions.

My Approach: I built a table with the questions. I then built a query to narrow down the list. (I'm new at this so I'm open to any other approaches).

Problem: Since all the questions are listed under one field name, I cannot import those questions into a form since I need each question to have it's our field name for a response. I can choose my questions from a list then filter out the ones I will not be asking through a query (but cannot import to a form) or I can create a separate field for each question (but cannot narrow down the questions on the form). Need help please.

G

grizzes

In order to accomplish your goal, you are going to need two tables - one for the questions and one for the answers.

Question table: You were right to put all the questions in the same field in one table (Hopefully you also allowed Access to assign a primary key ID as an autonumber)

The answer table: should have its own autonumber ID field, a lookup field that ties to the appropriate question, and your answer information fields (you may also want to set up an interviewee table with profiles of your interviewees which is also tied to your answer table)

Your query: can identify the 10 questions you want to ask - either by placing the appropriate ID numbers in the various lines of the "criteria" section of the design or using a random generator ( = int((upperbound - lowerbound + 1)*rnd(now()) + 1) repeated on 10 different criteria lines)

Your form: you make a subform with the answer table and a form from your query with the subform on it, tied to the question ID.

This will require some beautification but will work.

Hope this helped and good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom