Get off my property (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:07
We are on a 10 days holidays here.
Me and some friends are sitting in a camping site talking nonsense and someone shows us this news on TikTak.
Now everyone is on fire and fighting, but none of us has a clue what the correct answer is, because none of us has been living in US ever.
So this is the question we are fighting on:

Someone rushes to your yard and start shouting at you and your family, complaining about something.
You warn the intruder to get out of your property (Can we call him an intruder? because he's just standing there and shouting)
But he doesn't follow your order.
You have warned him three times and he doesn't follow. According to law, are you allowed to shoot him or not?

We are not talking about having gun is good or bad. or the legality of gun or comparing other countries to US.
We just need to know what the actual law is.

Thank you.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:07
It depends on the State you live in, but at faca value, given the situation as you have laid it out, the answer is no.

The trespasser has shown no sign of being a threat and the owner would probably be charged with manslaughter at a minimum.

Contrary to popular belief, we don't walk around with guns on our hips spoiling for a chance to shoot somebody...

KitaYama

Local time
It depends on the State you live in
Is there any state that allows it?

Contrary to popular belief, we don't walk around with guns on our hips spoiling for a chance to shoot somebody...
No body thinks so.
But the man who may shoot, is in his home. not out. And most (or a lot of) people have gun in their home.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If someone comes into your home uninvited, most states will tolerate you shooting them. It depends on the circumstances.

What percentage of Americans own a gun, do you think?

KitaYama

Local time
If someone comes into your home uninvited, most states will tolerate you shooting them. It depends on the circumstances.
I just lost 10 bucks. My money was on it's allowed.
There was a thread here talking about guns, and several post on occasions where parents who shot their children, when they came back home silently.
It gave me the impression it's allowed to shoot an intruder.

At least I know the law and the real answer.
thanks.

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
The answer is about 40%. I myself just became a gun owner last year at the tender age of 57...
Well, it seems our news is not that accurate. Though they don't give an exact number, but all of my friends are socked with that 40% rate.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I would say you were right. More often than not, the shooter would not get charged, but again, it depends

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well, it seems our news is not that accurate. Though they don't give an exact number, but all of my friends are socked with that 40% rate.
The thought it was higher? Did you mean to say 80%?

KitaYama

Local time
The thought it was higher? Did you mean to say 80%?
Yes, When I asked your question here, most answers were Every household, 90%. or above.
I chose the smallest number between us and it was 80%.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yes, When I asked your question here, most answers were Every household, 90%. or above.
I chose the smallest number between us and it was 80%.
While I was in Praque, I drank some beers with some Belgians and they simply did not believe I didn't own a motorcycle or a gun. It's funny how the media has painted us to the rest of the world.

KitaYama

Local time
how the media has painted us to the rest of the world.
I don't think there's an intention here. It's how human misjudge the situation based on what they see and hear. We only sum up the information we are given and make a general rule out of it.
You see, If I see a lot of posts about gun shootings in a city, it gives me the impression everyone or the majority of people own and carry a gun.

When we see a movie where the detective is running after the suspect and when he runs across the street, every car honk their horn and they hard brake with screech and we see it several times in different movies, it gave us the imagination of :
1- everyone is running over 60 miles per hour in streets
2- It's normal to honk the horn (here it's very impolite and aggressive if you horn at somebody or other cars)

We had a guest for our company, and because I understand English a little, I was asked to go to airport. (It proved I'm only good in writing and suck in hearing and speaking)
While driving him to the site, he was surprised no-one is wearing Kimono.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
While driving him to the site, he was surprised no-one is wearing Kimono.
Guilty as charged. When I landed in Tokyo in 1984 at the tender age of 18, I expected to see something out of James Clavell's "Shogun"

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:07
The law on the "shoot the trespasser" case would depend VERY HEAVILY on the degree of aggressiveness of the trespasser and also would depend on whether you were at the time in a state with a "stand your ground" law. Basically, you must feel threatened and there must be some belief that the threat is real. When an unarmed guy is yelling and waving his arms, he might just have a bee in his underwear - or he might be mentally deranged. It will ALWAYS depend on the level of perception of any potential threat. If he is more or less staying in one place and not advancing, use of a gun would be prohibited.

We have also just had a major upheaval in our state and national gun laws to the point that some of those more restrictive states will find their laws are in flux. The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that certain restrictive gun laws were in violation of the U.S. Constitution (specifically, the 2nd amendment). California, New York, New Jersey, and several other states will be facing lawsuits for their restrictions and the federal government will be facing lawsuits caused by the highly restrictive actions of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

I know that in my home state of Louisiana, we have a "castle doctrine" that says our home is our castle and we can defend it, but there has to be a real threat. Florida has a "stand your ground" law, as does Alabama. I'm betting but not guaranteeing that Mississippi also has such a law. The difference between the two is that "castle doctrine" says that an unauthorized person in your home or on your property who doesn't leave on command MAY be treated as a threat. "Stand your ground" applies anywhere (at home or not) and says you do not have to flee from an attacker if you have the means to defend yourself.

Two other points:

1- everyone is running over 60 miles per hour in streets

Not in city streets in the New Orleans area, because the streets are too bad, too uneven for your car's suspension to survive such speed. Every block on older streets is a small-scale speed bump just waiting to capture a tire, rim, or axle. After Hurricane Ida, a lot of streets buckled due to flood-induced subsidence, and the remnants of such subsidence after Hurricane Katrina was still being cleaned up when Ida passed through.

2- It's normal to honk the horn (here it's very impolite and aggressive if you horn at somebody or other cars)

Impolite and aggressive? Are you sure you haven't been near south Louisiana drivers? Because you just described them perfectly. I remember a study done many years ago in which driver aggressiveness was estimated based on court cases of road rage and other infractions, and New Orleans was the 5th worst driving city in the USA behind New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and either Houston or Dallas (I forget which one, but both were in the top (...er, bottom?) 10 in that category.

KitaYama

Local time
@The_Doc_Man Thanks for the detailed reply. Both your and @NauticalGent's reply caused a new discussion.

you must feel threatened and there must be some belief that the threat is real
A friend is asking:
In those states that "Stand your Ground" or "Castle doctrine" doesn't apply, you can not shoot a Thief. Can you?
Without any warning, can you shoot a thief who has sneak into your home in the middle of the night?

And a question from me :
This difference between state laws isn't confusing for you. (By you I mean everyone)
When you move between states, or you are on a trip to other states, do you normally study the difference between the laws of two states?
If there's a difference between the highest allowed speed and you're not aware of the difference, you may end up a ticket. No problem.
But not knowing the difference you explained above, you may end up with a manslaughter case.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:07
Without any warning, can you shoot a thief who has sneak into your home in the middle of the night?

Again, if at any time you feel your life is in danger, particularly if you see a weapon, you can shoot. There are definitions in the laws about when you cannot shoot. For example, if a person breaks into your home and you tell them to leave (without having to show a gun to persuade them) then the law says they are no longer a threat and you can't shoot them. If you felt threatened and fired a shot, but then the intruder runs and leaves, you cannot shoot the fleeing burglar or intruder.

In states where you don't have "Stand your ground" or "Castle doctrine" it gets complex as to whether you can shoot, but every state has some definition regarding self-defense.

Your question about speed limits is usually moot because most jurisdictions post their speed limits and there is a rule that says, "If it ain't posted, it ain't true." (Actually, can't be enforced if not posted.) Most of the time states have the same limits - 70 mph on the Interstate Highway system, lesser amounts on main rural highways, and 35 on main city streets. As low as 20 mph on residential side streets.

Because our gun laws are in flux after that Supreme Court decision, it is probably still not a good idea to carry a gun across state lines. The very act of transporting a gun could still be a felony in some states. The dust on that recent decision still hasn't settled.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
40% may be the country-wide average for households with guns but the numbers would vary substantially with rural areas having many more households with guns and also more guns per household. The cities would have fewer households with guns and fewer guns in households with guns. Two reasons:
1. the large cities tend to lean largely Democrat and they are generally anti-gun (at least when it comes to others:) They are entitled to protect themselves but you are not entitled to protect yourself. Standard Dem hypocrisy).
2. city dwellers are less likely to be hunters so they, if they have a gun, would have a hand gun rather than a long gun and probably only one of them.

Most cities have noise ordinances and so honking is a lot less prevalent than it was when I was a kid. People still honk for warning but not so much any more out of annoyance.

My state has lower speed limits all around. Unposted city streets are usually 25 mph. I95 which is the interstate that goes from Maine/Canada border all the way down to Key West Florida goes through Connecticut along the shore and the top limit between cities is 65. The limit is lower in the more congested areas. Back in the olden days (1960's) when we weren't so gas conscious, I used to run road rallies. These are what were called Time/Speed/Distance (TSD) events. The routes were laid out by a rally master and were secret. There were checkpoints along the route and you were timed between the checkpoints. The objective was to travel between checkpoints at EXACTLY the calculated amount of time. If you arrived late, you lost points but there was a maximum loss. However if you arrived early, you also lost points but there was no maximum loss because if you arrived early, you were speeding. The rally ALWAYS ran using the posted speed limit. You were given cryptic directions such as left at the red barn, right at the t, left .3 miles past the overpass. The "red barn" might be an actual barn painted red or it might be a sign that said "Red Barn Restaurant". The number of entries were restricted and starts were spaced out by at least 30 seconds so you wouldn't be close enough to the car in front of you to follow him. OK, now we're getting to the point. One rally we ran was in Vermont in the fall and it was called the Covered Bridge rally. The course took us over as many covered bridges as they could find. Many were on unpaved roads. Turns out the speed limit on unposted dirt roads in Vermont is 50 MPH. That was pretty exciting:)

Gone are the days of a Sunday afternoon running a rally in my Austin Healy Sprite with the top down and my navigator by my side:cry:

Last edited:

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:07
While I was in Praque, I drank some beers with some Belgians and they simply did not believe I didn't own a motorcycle or a gun. It's funny how the media has painted us to the rest of the world.
As a Belgian myself, I can agree :D
The media here thinks that they are all cowboys shooting all over the place.
And of course you have to own a motorcycle, drive some kind of big 4x4 Cadillac or mustang (Chevrolet is acceptable)

I am surprised it is only 40% (yet it is a big number) But we will be surprised how many Europeans also has guns at home.
At my parent's house in France, we had a few shotguns (mostly for hunting with permit) and a few air rifles.
And most farmers where I grew up had similar guns too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom