Get total field to show after last line in details (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 11:22
I have been fiddling with reports the last few days, and is there a way to have the total/summary field show after the last line in the details? When it is in the page footer, it ends up in a weird spot and obviously report footer is much worse.

I tried adding it to the details itself, but then it populated the total on every single line. Is there something special I need to do to get it to show up where it would logically need to be?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:22
Have you tried using a subreport? Just a thought...

tmyers

Local time
I have not. That didn't even cross my mind. I will tinker with that for a bit.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have not. That didn't even cross my mind. I will tinker with that for a bit.
It was just the first thing that came to mind. I'm not sure yet how to make it work. Let us know how it goes.

tmyers

Local time
I can't get it to work properly either. It either doesn't move with the rest of the fields, or just ends up in really wonky spots.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I can't get it to work properly either. It either doesn't move with the rest of the fields, or just ends up in really wonky spots.
Then maybe the next idea then would be to try using a group footer.

tmyers

Local time
The grouping is also putting it within the report footer, so it's ending up in a bad spot. I didn't think getting a total where I wanted would be such a pain.

tmyers

Local time
I suppose being in the report footer would work, as long as I can get the report footer to appear shortly after the last line in the details section. Currently there is a large gap between the last item and the footer section.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The grouping is also putting it within the report footer, so it's ending up in a bad spot. I didn't think getting a total where I wanted would be such a pain.
The group footer should put the subtotals right at the end of the group (not sure if that's a bad spot), not in the report footer.

Can you post a sample db with test data?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I suppose being in the report footer would work, as long as I can get the report footer to appear shortly after the last line in the details section. Currently there is a large gap between the last item and the footer section.
Okay, not sure what we were discussing above, I may have been thinking of the page footer.

So, to clarify, a page footer shows up at the bottom of each page. The report footer shows up at the end of the entire report. And a group footer shows up at the end of each group.

tmyers

Local time
Unfortunately I cant post it. But here are some pictures.
Capture.PNG

This is in report view. This is perfect and how I would like it to appear. However, this is how it looks like print preview.
Capture.PNG

There is nearly an entire page worth of gap between the last item in the detail section and the start of the report footer. If I can get that gap to disappear, the total being in the report footer works just fine.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
There is nearly an entire page worth of gap between the last item in the detail section and the start of the report footer.
Are you sure you're not using a Page Footer? The report footer shouldn't have much gap after the Details section.

How about some images of the Design View?

tmyers

Local time
Is it because of the date/time/page number in the page footer?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't think so. How come in the first set of images you posted, there is no record in the Details section before the Total? Are you forcing new pages or using a page break?

tmyers

Local time
Not that I am aware of. Let me scour the properties again and see if I missed something somewhere.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:22
PMFJI,
I would certainly put the Date and Time on one line, even use NOW() instead, plus does it need to be on every page.? Is the report going to be that big :)
I would also try a group footer, even if the group is just a hardcoded value?

tmyers

Local time
PMFJI,
I would certainly put the Date and Time on one line, even use NOW() instead, plus does it need to be on every page.? Is the report going to be that big :)
I would also try a group footer, even if the group is just a hardcoded value?
I would say the "average" would be around 3-4 pages. Some could go over 10.
I messed with the group footer, but I cant get it to work correctly. It botches up the sorting and starts putting subtotals even when I say to do grand total.

tmyers

Local time
Here is an example from a vendor of ours and how they do it, which is what I am trying to replicate.
Capture.PNG

Just like the report I am building, they have their unit cost then the extended next to it. Then the total is right after the last line in their detail.

I checked for page breaks and such and did not find anything wonky in those settings, but still can't get the total where I want it/where it should logically be. Based on the tinkering I have done, it has to be the group/sort and I am just not doing it right.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:22
Here is how I quickly did it, just copying the page footer total field and placed it in a group footer. My group did not change., hence the same as report footer, but it is just to show layout.

1603737180238.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom