God could be real! (1 Viewer)

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 10:34
Doc, we are not in disagreement over the basics of evolution as it pertains to small benificial changes in beneficial traits that make a given life form better or more able to survive. It's those big jumps I have a problem with.

Jon, God is not intrinsically part of the world or the universe you see when looking at pics from the Hubble Telescope, but there could be some way that he holds it all together to ground all observable entities into reality. What I'm saying is that the universe is not an accident. The reason I made a big deal about something cannot come from nothing is relative to us humans thinking that we can create life in the form of a single cell that replicates or that it happened by accident without a creator. A cell is something easier to talk about since I am no astrophysicist. Did you look at the last link I posted? The link before that one is even easier to understand to get a better perspective.

Also I'm not saying that i don't believe in the basic concept in evolution where a cell or organism over time takes on properties that enhance it's own survival. But a fruit fly has always been a fruit fly since its creation or until it's extinction. It doesn't turn into a human over time. This is all part of the genetic code for all living things. That means that the creation of living things has no common ancestor. The biological sequence in each type of living thing is predetermined just like the code we write makes a program work a specific way. Code doesn't write itself but the code does allow for small genetic traces that are good for it to be passed on to generations. That part of evolution I have no problem with. It's when you jump to the crazy conclusion that there are jumps from one species to another where it becomes rubbish. That is not how cells replicate within species. Ask any biologist how that happens? Small changes are just that. SMALL. The basic phenotype is always replicated during that process.

1650887305756.png

Taken from your article, they make mention of 50,000 fly wings as an example of evolution. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that the genetic code does allow for these small mutations based on what is best for the species. I do not deny that. What I do take issue with is the idea that a fruit fly can somehow over time evolve into a human or any other completely different species. Or the big one, that all phenotypes came from one cell that came from one accidental primordial soup of time. That's just not possible because in is not in the genetic code of the species.

You will take note that all and I mean ALL biological creatures that can fly naturally in the air have WINGS. They don't have jetpacks. They never had jetpacks and never will have jetpacks or any other type of mechanism to fly other than some type of wings. Usually there are two of them for birds and some even amount in the insect world. These are unchangeable on their own naturally as a part of the genetic code for all life.

That the self evident design behind these amazing forms of life can generate on their own through evolution (this is the crazy part of evolution that I do not believe) has to be reduced to a powerful illusion by people like R. Dawkins. To me this is part that should make it self evident.

1650888063478.png

1650888286463.png

Great, a non scientist, non biologist telling us that DNA code isn't interpreted by anything. That's not true, there could not be a replication of the basic phenotype without the DNA sequence being interpreted by something. Otherwise what's the point in having a code at all.

1650889003147.png

BTW, I wasn't feeling good today and it ends up I have tested positive for C19. So I might take it easy on the God debate. Just a low grade fever so I don't think it's too bad.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:34
BTW, I wasn't feeling good today and it ends up I have tested positive for C19. So I might take it easy on the God debate. Just a low grade fever so I don't think it's too bad.

My best wishes for complete and quick recovery. If it is within the first 5 days of getting the disease, there are some palliatives that work pretty well to reduce the intensity of the disease's effects. I cannot advise you on what they are, but then my "Doc" isn't a medical degree anyway.

It appears we are unalterably opposed on this viewpoint. As I don't wish to devolve into name-calling, I will simply say that I cannot accept your viewpoint any more than you can accept mine. I feel what I feel as strongly as you feel what you feel. You see "a guiding hand" and "DNA code being interpreted" - both of which require an entity that logically (to me) cannot exist because of the implications thereof. This is a fundamental difference and it is a mulberry bush I have already run around several times in the "Are You An Atheist" thread in this forum.

Be well, Mike. Take it easy.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:34
Here's hoping for your rapid recovery. I saw a statistic the other day that said 7 out of 10 people in the UK have had Covid. A very high number by any stretch.

Regarding the debate, I've seen virtually all the arguments for and against. To me, no one changes their mind. As to the weight of the evidence, from my perspective it is so far over to one side that only an apocalyptic event would convince me otherwise.

Small changes are just that. SMALL.
What do you get when you add a large number of small numbers together? A relatively large number. What happens when you add a large number of small changes together? Large change. If fruit flies can evolve different properties in 4 years, what changes can happen over a period of 480 million years when insects first appeared? Think about it.

However, if you believe the earth is 8,000 years old, then you won't buy into my argument above. Nor would I if that were true. Not enough time for enough change.

What I do take issue with is the idea that a fruit fly can somehow over time evolve into a human or any other completely different species.
The fruit fly comes from a different lineage than humans. However, using your own logic that small change can happen, and the self evident fact that small changes multiplied a very large number of times will lead to very large change, when a fruit fly has experienced this very large change, at what point is it no long a fruit fly and indeed a different species? Surely a continuation of change eventually results in something different. That is the only logical conclusion. (Spock)

What I'm saying is that the universe is not an accident.
Since we are locked into our own universe, as far as we are aware, some of these questions can never be answered. There may be infinite universes in some type of bubble membrane. Many theories, and like Plato, we can only speculate what is outside of the cave.

It is possible that there is a creator of our universe, like some massive SIM game, where an intelligence has created the rules of physics. You can call them God if you like. And in some respects, you can argue they are indeed the God of their own creation. In that case, I am the God of Access World. Hmmm, I quite like that! 😁

In fact, come to think of it, if a creator is not verifiable because they are not intrinsically observable within our universe, they could indeed be the programmer that operates outside above the bubble membrane or in another dimension. That could coexist with the laws of physics as a possible hypothesis.

The SIM hypothesis is an increasingly common and quite plausible one, with many arguing the probability that we are in a SIM is near certain. It makes sense to me, although it feels hollow somehow, but I have no rational explanation for why it feels that way. If we are in a SIM, then indeed there is likely to be a creator of that SIM. If the probability that we are in a SIM is near certain, does that not mean the likelihood of a "God" is virtually certain? I can accept that argument. Did I just prove God exists?

SIM hypothesis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

So, I start off by disproving God. And now I end up proving God. It just shows how confused I am!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
Sending good vibrations, Godspeed! :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I wonder how this conversation would play out on Twitter, with the limited number of characters?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You will take note that all and I mean ALL biological creatures that can fly naturally in the air have WINGS.

Except, of course, flying squirrels, who just have loose skin membranes that they cannot flap very well. They do not have wings because they have hands and feet, and they are neither insects nor arachnids. Mammals are AT MOST quadrupedal. Hmm... If I lose enough weight and my skin gets really loose, I wonder if I might glide that way? And if God wanted creatures to fly, He might have given them better landing gear. Have you ever watched a duck come in for a landing on hard ground? What a terrible omission from the grand architect. They can take off but not land efficiently.

Let's not forget flying fish, which have unusually long fins. It's a great predator-escape mechanism.

Not to mention seeds that fly though the distribution mechanism of crepitation.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What about Covid, floating around in the air? :D

Mike Krailo

Local time
Leave it to doc to find the gliding squirrel example. Which is similar to that suit some really insane humans put on with a go pro camera and jump off mountains for the fun of it. The guy in this video actually goes through a hole in a rock formation and finishes off by flying down and back up over a dam wall. Incredible.

Insane Wingsuit Flight

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The flying squirrels are looking for nuts. The people in the flying-squirrel glider suits ARE nuts. There has to be a correlation there somewhere.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Back in my hang glider days, I found out that spiders can fly on certain days when the thermal activity is high. I got into a rather large thermal and rode it all the way up to cloud top level for the first time. Mind you, I could not see until I got out of the cloud. Then to my horror, there are spiders all over my kite. All the other pilots laughed at me because they knew I didn't know what was going on. Those buggers can fly. Well it's more like hitching a ride on a thermal.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Flying spiders? Yecch! In south Louisiana, the "big" discovery made by newcomers to the area is that palmetto bugs (a big variety of cockroach) can fly. Oh, they crawl all over the place, but if threatened badly enough, they'll launch right at you.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Doc, I would have never believed it if I didn't see it for my self with all that silk swirling around my kite.

The first time I seen cockroaches fly was in Okinawa JP. They fly whenever they feel like it over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom