Good Source for Icon Images for Forms (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 07:16
Does anyone have a nice source for icon images that can be used as buttons on a form? Thanks!

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 11:16
You may find this thread helpful:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:16
I use quite few from here 16*16 and 32*32 for command buttons - just make sure you add some attribution on your app

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:16
I often create a word document with a background the identical color of the displayed form in access (identical because i've taken a screenshot and pasted it in word), then go Insert > Icon. In office 365 there is a wonderful assortment of transparent, real icons and they go right on top of the other background. Then they both get screenshotted together, pasted into paint, and boom- I've made a picture (for Access) that looks like a professional transparent icon on top of my form

JMongi

Local time
@Isaac - That's a nice idea. As a power user in other computer areas (is it prideful to self-proclaim that...probably...lol). It wouldn't be too hard (just a little bit of time) to use paint.net, the alpha mask plugin and/or something similar to create truly transparent icons for your use in Access if that's what you wanted. Here's a link for the adventurous.

Step 1 - Insert Icon into Word Document as Outlined Above
Step 2 - Screenshot, snip tool, etc to get a copy of the icon
Step 3 - Open screenshot/snip in paint.net or equivalent.
Step 4 - Follow the steps in the link to change the background to transparent.
Step 5 - Make any modifications to the picture size (if you want to standardize on 32 x 32 for example)
Step 6 - Save as .png file in your preferred folder of choice.

This would work for icons or more involved graphics as well.

Edit: My info is out of date (sorry, I'm old 😂). But the general concepts are the same. There are newer plugins that likely work better with the newer updates of paint.net. Use a paint.net plugin to "convert" the white background to transparent once you've opened your screen cap/snip. A newer thread is here.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thanks jmongi. I guess i'm lazy - since word already gives me the icons I need for the most part, I just use those transparent ones and paste them onto a background, ha ha too lazy

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Is it not quicker to 'save as picture'?
you replying to me?

well it would be if it had the right background. the key is to get the background of your form behind it.

JMongi

Local time
Thanks jmongi. I guess i'm lazy - since word already gives me the icons I need for the most part, I just use those transparent ones and paste them onto a background, ha ha too lazy.
Well, I can't judge. I'm gladly downloading icons and using those as opposed to creating my own. Saves me time. I figured that the process might be useful for those that have graphics they wanted with transparent backgrounds that fall outside of the typical iconography.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well, I can't judge. I'm gladly downloading icons and using those as opposed to creating my own. Saves me time. I figured that the process might be useful for those that have graphics they wanted with transparent backgrounds that fall outside of the typical iconography.
ok, so let's say you download a transparent ICO file. how do you put it on your access form?

JMongi

Local time
I see what you are asking. These aren't actual .ico files. These are .png files. So I just use insert image. They just already have transparent backgrounds (something .png files can do) and thus can go on any background color.

The process I outlined for doing it yourself is the "right" way to create a transparent background from an existing image. A simpler version involves magic wand tools, but these tend to leave a halo of the original color that is jarring and doesn't look very good.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Cool, well, good topic anyway - always a big need for graphics.

JMongi

Local time
Here is an example of my work in progress form with a couple of .png icons inserted from the FatCows download linked above.
FrmProjList.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom