Google Desktop Search (1 Viewer)

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:00
Well, anyone use it?

I purchased a new laptop a week ago and noticed it came with Google Desktop Search, how ever each time I open it the following message appears:

None of these programs are running (half of them I dont have) I press "OK Close these applications" then it just closes and thats it.

I read somewhere about how it needs to index the computer or something but thought after a week it should have completed that by now.

Dave

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
It may just be a StartUp item that never got deleted when it ran. Is it in the StartUp folder or in the registry?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:00
If it happens everytime then it could be because Windows indexing service is not running or disabled. To check go to services from control panel > admin tools.

Note: this will actually slow your PC down a little as it's a constantly running service.

Further note: I'm sure your carefull but just a word to the wise for anyone thinking of installing it there have been a lot of security concerns with desktop search clicky because of the information it indexes and hackers are always looking for easy ways to exploit this.

Google have been quick to patch beta versions but just be aware by default it doesn't only index all your files (including music, video and photo's) but also your Internet history/ searches and even secure data (from https:// sites), IM messages, Office doc's etc. and if you have search across computers option on this information is not stored on your PC but on a remote Google server and can therefore be easily found by someone else.

I would recommend turning search across computers off and also turn off the indexing of web information.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded the lastest version of this thing and installed. Seems to be working now.

As Minkey says - Do I realy need this thing? At the moment I am thinking probably not.

Dave

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
I would recommend turning search across computers off and also turn off the indexing of web information.

And how would I do this? I can see these options in the preferences bit:confused:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:00
I haven't got it so can be certain but on the beta it was under Desktop Preferences clicky scroll down to twiddling knobs and setting preferences part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom