Google verses Bing (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:59
MS has done it again. (Win 8.1)
Has anybody else experience on last upgrade of Win, forcing Bing (Ask) as search engine, and putting another tool bar in my browser (FireFox) I have changed the option in the search box to Google but whatever I put in Google it auto-fills in Bing. I then get all the adds that MS wants be to look at. Anybody know the fix?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:59
Remove the tool bar, and uninstall the Bing browser add-on from FF...?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:59
Remove the tool bar, and uninstall the Bing browser add-on from FF...?
I removed the tool bar. I wasn't sure what FF stood for. I assume it was the uninstall feature of Win. When I went there I could not find a program call Bing or a program called Ask. Nothing that even came close. It would not be unheard of, however, for MS to hide the name. Still searches from Bing even using the Google search dialog box. It's not just the adds, but I don't think Bing searches as well as Google. Might be just in my head. Whatever, it sure doesn't make me like MS any better. I have just spend hours trying to fix my computer instead of getting actual work done.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:59
Senile, Never. Now where did I leave my glasses :)

enriquegill012

Local time
Today, 23:59
That's why I am not using Internet Explorer because of too much updates from Microsoft. IE sucks. I don't like Bing either, Google is all the more better.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:59
Has anybody else experience on last upgrade of Win, forcing Bing (Ask) as search engine

Ask is not Bing, but a hideous malware that most commonly gets on to a system via a Java Runtime update. Shame on Oracle for this monetising model. It can be very difficult to remove from the system.

Personally I avoid Java like the plague because it is littered with security flaws and every program I have seen written on it is rubbish. Open Office developers are steadily freeing it from requiring Java. Moreover any product that bundles something so hideous as Ask needs to die out.

If you must have Java then be sure to go to the settings via the Control Panel and change the setting on the last tab that installs the "sponsor" additions with the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom