Gumroad (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:49
I started using Gumroad about a year ago to sell my products. The site is a little quirky but it works well when you get to know your way around it.

Nice article about Gumroad here:-

Initially, I was concerned that it wasn't the best platform for me because I felt that it was a bit dated and not well maintained. But recently Gumroad have upped their game, got some serious funding and are making improvements/modifications to the site and software.

Have a look at my site on Gumroad to see what you can do:-

If you have any questions, then please post them here, I will answer best I can.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
You can now link your PayPal account to Gumroad and and accept purchases through PayPal. I've already had a couple of PayPal purchases, so I think it's a good move from Gumroad. .

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nice work Uncle. Curious how many sales you made.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Not many, about 20 quid a month on average I reckon, maybe slightly less.

Reactions: Jon

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
how many sales you made.

Whether it's significant or just a random blip, but this last month, the sales have doubled. Could be due to PayPal, too early to say really...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hard to tell if it was signal or noise, but I would certainly be hoping. And also thinking about how to scale it up. Ten widgets for sale = £20pm, how about 100? Create a new widget every few days. Then I would look at expected lifetime return on a widget. Next, I would put it all off because it seems daunting. :LOL:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Ten widgets for sale = £20pm, how about 100? Create a new widget every few days.

Rob Cornish from Gain Higher Ground recommends building Nano Products, exactly like you say - things that only take a day or two to build. The beauty of it is that you don't waste too much time on a product that doesn't sell. You can go all out and build the latest and greatest, spend weeks/months on it and never sell a single item!

I have a few products in the pipeline, and I'm always getting new ideas from AWF...

My next product will be a "Between Dates Generator" if you notice, any query that uses "between dates", has exactly the same SQL Statement representing the between part. >>> Between Date() and Date()-6 <<< This can be generated by a pop-up form, simplifying a search to return a date range.

I created the original product probably 10 or 15 years ago but it relied on the the Microsoft date picker which was discontinued. I could have replaced the Microsoft date picker with someone else's datepicker, but didn't fancy the possible ownership implications of incorporating & selling someone else's work. Recently I created my own Nifty Date Picker. Now I can resurrect the "Nifty Between Dates Generator"

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The beauty of it is that you don't waste too much time on a product that doesn't sell. You can go all out and build the latest and greatest, spend weeks/months on it and never sell a single item!
That is a very good point. It forms part of the philosophy of "Lean Startup", a movement where you build MVP's (Minimum Viable Products). It was an adaption of the Japanese Lean management principles adopted by Toyota. If I got that wrong, my apologies. The grey matter has become furry over the years.

You do a MVP for exactly that reason, see if people will part with their money. If not, you pivot the idea until you hit their buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom