Handling bookings in Access (1 Viewer)

pankajunk

Local time
Today, 06:40
I want to set up a simple meeting booking application in Access.

- There are multiple people who can be booked
- The slots have a defined duration of 30 mins
- Each person has a schedule (days of week and times of day)
- A person once booked for a slot can not be booked again

I am totally out of ideas of how to do this apart from creating a massive table with all the "available" slots. Any ideas?

Pankaj

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is this a school project? If not, I would use outlook rather than building a custom app

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Your data needs to be stored in a normalized fashion. Simply
Personid
Startdatetime
EndDateTime

The trick is building the user interface to see this in a "non normalized" way and then select an available period. This usually requires a temp table and can require a large amount of code.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:40
If you use the forum SEARCH function (upper right corner of your screen) and look for the word "BOOKINGS" you will find literally dozens of older and newer articles on the subject. Some will have code and examples; some will be purely discussion. All of them will help orient you on how to do what you want to do.

pankajunk

Local time
If you use the forum SEARCH function (upper right corner of your screen) and look for the word "BOOKINGS" you will find literally dozens of older and newer articles on the subject. Some will have code and examples; some will be purely discussion. All of them will help orient you on how to do what you want to do.
Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I did. I was hoping to get it done using a clever database structure without having to dabble in scripting. The best I could come up with is to create a whole bunch of rows for each "slot", and linking to a booking table through a query of "available slots". But this gets really messy, and I have to create endless records for "slots".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom