Happy retirement (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:18
I figure, take whatever feelings I had about leaving a great workplace and job when I retired and multiply that by 10,000 based on the job and workplace he was leaving. It's no wonder he was emotional. I hope he learns to relax and enjoy his family and his new lifestyle.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:18
I have to admit that the day I walked out of the Navy Enterprise Data Center/New Orleans for the last time and turned in my security badge, I was more than a tad emotional. I had already removed most of my belongings and distributed the rest to anyone who might have wanted them. But leaving the ambience of a highly intelligent and skilled group of people, some of whom I had known for 25+ years, made things just a little bit rough. I kept up with some of them through e-mail but have not gone back to visit. Just couldn't do it.

I had to make a speech at my retirement party but kept that short. Then, the day of my actual retirement, about 2:30 PM I fired off an e-mail to all the folks I had known and remembered who were still in the mailing list. Must have been about 90 names. I wrote up an essay about the things I had seen and done and the people I had known, trying to put a perspective on what I had learned so that others might see a useful viewpoint. I don't know how many of them read my manifesto, but I tried to keep it upbeat.

I knew when I walked out that day that my life would never again be as solidly riveted on technology as it had been for the 28 1/2 years of service I had with the U.S. Navy's various branches. It was hard to not just break down and sob. But it only took me about a week to adjust to being retired. I am ready to stay this way, though if a part-time teaching position ever opened up, I might consider it, even in light of corona virus. But with the big economic downturn, I'm not holding my breath.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 14:18
I'm sure the day I say good bye to this job and this desk, would be the worst day of my life.
Many friends try to convince me that retirement is another door to another world, but I don't feel comfortable to leave THIS world.

I had a very close friend (69 years old) and he was working on a project with me until he died in a car accident. Ever since, I've always thought of him as the luckiest guy I've ever known.

I still have another 15 years until being retired, and I'm trying to spend these remaining days in the best possible way, But I'm sure I'll regret it when the day comes, and I will think that I could do better.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 14:18
I'm doing my best in that area. Though not improved as I expected from start, but I'm serious about it :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:18
One of our dear friends told us he would never retire. He was a certified master carpenter and worked as a private small-job contractor. After Hurricane Katrina wrecked our house (and tens of thousands of other houses, businesses, and government buildings), it was our friend Sal who put our house back together on the inside. We talked to him about his Social Security retirement funds but he swore he would never see a dime of it. He predicted he would die on the job doing what he liked doing.

Last month he was working on our house when he had a massive fatal heart attack. We are six blocks from a major hospital and the ambulance was here in a couple of minutes, but they could not revive him. He died less than two weeks before his 65th birthday. Sal was sadly prophetic. It grieved us deeply that our friend died, worse so because died on our property. But we also had to recall his stated wish that he would never retire and that he would die on the job. Now, after the fact, we can smile at his last prediction. If you go out the way you said you wanted to, I guess there are worse things to consider.

Which is why my stated goal is to die at age 105 due to gunshot wounds inflicted by a jealous husband who catches me in the act.

(Hey, it's a goal...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom