Happy Thanksgiving! (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:34
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Despite our varied backgrounds, interests & differences, I wish everyone a wonderful time with family if you celebrate this holiday.
I'm thankful for the Pilgrims, and everyone who came after, who helped the USA become what we are blessed to live in today.

Cheers!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:34
I'm in on that one, despite the restricted gathering that we have planned. Looks like a total of 5 people to stay for the meal, two more will drop by for "Care packages." But so far, nobody is sick. Nobody has croaked over COVID in our family. So that is a thankful thing.

Whatever the day means to you, whether it is a holiday of gathering, of remembering, of joyous celebration, ... or just another day at the office - have a great Thursday, 11/26/2020.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:34
Happy Thanksgiving all, although we don't celebrate it in the UK. Never really understood what it is all about.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Happy Thanksgiving to all our members over the pond. I hope you have an excellent long weekend!

We don't celebrate it over here but do now get lovely Black Friday deals.
Hello more new Sonos toys :D

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 16:34
Happy Thanksgiving all, although we don't celebrate it in the UK. Never really understood what it is all about.
Now THERE is a can of worms that could spark some lively conversation!

Eddie Izard sums it up best:

Reactions: Jon

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:34
To those outside the USA who don't understand Thanksgiving...

The religious environment in early 1600s England caused some people to leave that country for "the new world" - in hopes of setting up a religiously-based colony for a religion other than the one that they felt had oppressed them in the UK. In 1620 a ship landed on the coast of what would eventually become the Massachusetts colony. They dubbed their settlement "Plymouth" in honor of the city in England from which they had sailed. They endured many hardships, mostly related to being over a thousand miles from help. They managed to survive with the help of some of the Native Americans who lived there. They declared a particular holiday that they set aside as a feast to give thanks to God for their continued survival and eventual success.

George Washington, our first president, called for a national day of giving thanks (after the successful war of independence). In 1817, several of the states officially recognized a yearly holiday for giving thanks. The holiday didn't officially become a national day of Thanksgiving until the Civil War when President Abraham Lincoln designated (by Executive order) that the fourth Thursday in November would be a holiday of healing and of remembrance. President Roosevelt wanted to move it up a week as a holiday to stimulate commerce during The Great Depression of the 1930s but Congress finally declared it as a national holiday at its current schedule (4th Thursday of November) in 1941. Just in time for Pearl Harbor.

Turns out that President Roosevelt's idea of a holiday to stimulate the economy worked after all because (as noted earlier) we now have Black Friday, where people buy anything and everything in sight in time for a Merry Christmas. The crowds are sometimes insane because merchants finally use the holiday as a time to remove the exorbitantly inflated prices that they normally charge for things and reduce the prices closer to what they were really worth. (I said "closer" as opposed to "actual value.")

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Now THERE is a can of worms that could spark some lively conversation!

Eddie Izard sums it up best:
Nice one. @Jon I was simply going to say that it is a holiday where we celebrate the origins of our nation, essentially. One of several I'm sure

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Any old excuse... :LOL:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Anyone else think it wouldn't be thanksgiving without hearing this song?

Back in normal days driving to see family it would always come on the radio a few times.
Arlo just announced a few weeks ago he's not doing anymore live shows.

This was just in the local paper

52 years ago this article was in our local paper

23799893_1497403306980740_8667734382423231279_o.jpg

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
LOL! I haven't heard that song in years!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
LOL! I haven't heard that song in years!
Usually gets a lot of airplay this time of year.

He's a local. I'm friends with his drummer. The restaurants gone but the church where Alice lived is still going

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Usually gets a lot of airplay this time of year.

Good point. It occurred to me that I probably haven't heard it because I have Sirius in my car now (got a deal I couldn't refuse). You mentioning it made me search it out and listen to it though. Made me smile, thanks!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Hope your not paying more than $5 a month.
I've gotten sirius for as low as $4 a month.
My friend clued me in how to do it.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Nope! When my free trial ran out i kept ignoring their offers. They kept coming back cheaper, and I signed up at that $5 rate. When each subscription is expiring I call to cancel. They keep offering lower rates and I finally renew at that $5 rate again. Never got $4, might need to hold out longer! ;)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Yup, thats the trick.
Although I just had my car serviced at the dealer so I get a free 3 months.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sweet! I don't like our dealer so won't go there. They wouldn't make any deals and the service department misled me when I went in with a warranty question. I guess they figure they don't have to deal since the next nearest dealer is over 100 miles away. They figured wrong, I saved about 3k going elsewhere.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I abandoned all other music sources once i started using pandora premium. granted it's $10/mo but I can play anything I want...literally, on demand.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Being in the mountains even sirius has issues with the signal. I stopped paying for it a long time ago but get free 3 month subscriptions once or twice a year. I have enough on my phone to keep me happy in the car or on my bike.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have Sirius and I get signal issue right here in the central valley of California. Still I do not remember what I pay (I need to look that up sometime). My music tastes are very varied (county, soft rock, oldies, classical, bluegrass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom