Happy Thanksgiving! (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:14
I tried Sirius for a while but couldn't quite find my groove. At first I found a pearl jam station and thought ok great, i can listen to this for an hour. But it was some of their weirder songs that I'd never heard of (I guess you can only play the top 10 songs for so long!). Pearl Jam has an interesting way of mixing what you might call a "song", versus, "20 minutes of random groaning at a concert one day in Sweden", which I didn't know until I used Sirius.

Then I tried some things new to me. Jethro Tull (do I have it right? or was it someone else) on "heads are gonna roll", thought that was a cool song.
All in all, it was just too much like the regular radio.......it couldn't play a straight feed of pure "what Isaac likes", which my pandora playlists can do to perfection. The one downside of pandora is, I don't learn very much new--since I'm quite strict, and rarely allow pandora to introduce me to something new. ha ha ha.

But that's OK.............I can listen to my odd mixes containing Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Credence Clearwater Revival, Shinedown, Randy Jackon and Toby Keith.........pure craziness, never find that mix on a Siriuis Station LOL

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:14
There are only three kinds of music I don't allow in the house. Extreme-angry gangsta rap, extreme over-the-top metal rock, and howlin' dawg country laments.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Not even the good country from the 80's? Toby Keith, Randy Jackson, Clint Black.

I don't like over the top metal, but I've slowly come to realize that most of the stuff from bands like Disturbed and FFDP have extremely intelligent lyrical messages regarding social and political themes behind them. Not all of them I agree with, but a lot more than just yelling, LOL

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
My daughter uses YouTube for her streaming music, I think it's 11 dollars per month. Plus you get the added benefit of the video. There doesn't seem to be any buffering.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I like YT except when I set down my phone and lock it, it turns off

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
We mainly use it in the car, she has folders with different genres. And she takes requests. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:14
Not even the good country from the 80's?

Howlin' dawg country laments are the kind where when played on the radio, the song is so twangy that the dog starts to whimper before baying like it was in the light of the full moon. And at the farthest extreme, you are tempted to join him.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
but I've slowly come to realize that most of the stuff from bands like Disturbed and FFDP have extremely intelligent lyrical messages regarding social and political themes behind them.
After columbine some folks like Tipper Gore went after people like Marilyn Manson for explicit song lyrics. Tipper tried to make the case musical content could lead young people to kill. If you go back and find old interviews with Marilyn Manson around the time of columbine you find he is quite articulate considering the product he produced. On a side note, I can blame my fondness for alcohol on Dean Martin. 🍻

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
After columbine some folks like Tipper Gore went after people like Marilyn Manson for explicit song lyrics. Tipper tried to make the case musical content could lead young people to kill. If you go back and find old interviews with Marilyn Manson around the time of columbine you find he is quite articulate considering the product he produced. On a side note, I can blame my fondness for alcohol on Dean Martin. 🍻
Yes, I've realized over time that songs that talk about violence vary quite a bit in their real message. Some songs just randomly talk about violence for violence's sake - stupid stuff. Other songs are quite clear in their message and/or much more artistic such that any thinking person reading the lyrics realizes they are not promoting violence - merely referring to it in a context.

It would be like saying that every country song that laments divorce is recommending divorce for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom