Harbor Tool & Freight (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 21:58
I don't think there are any Harbor Tool & Freight outside of the US, so this will just be aimed at US people. I have used them for years and always had good tools and service, but recently have had a problem. Have you had a problem with Harbor Tool & Freight?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
@Dick7Access - looks like you double-posted. Sometimes this site gets a little "twitchy" (not often any more).

And to answer your question, I don't deal with them so have no feedback for you.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:58
FYI I deleted the duplicate thread. I haven't dealt with Harbor either, so can't offer any thoughts there.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 02:58
I've bought plenty of stuff there near Shreveport when I was in the USA, but never had any problems.
I'm a bit far away now to take anything back. :D

However with the customer service ethos I have found in the USA, I would doubt you would have any problems with them, as long as it is not your fault.?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I used to buy Craftsman but that's seems the have been bought out by Stanley Black & Decker. So I tend use the Home Depot brands like Husky if I need replacement hand tools.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I love harbor freight. Especially for things like saw blades, drill bits, tarps, etc. I think the tools are more Homeowner grade than Contractor grade but they certainly work OK and seem to last.
I recently ( 2weeks ago) began building a new shed and when I went to pick up my $400+ Craftsman compound mitre saw the plastic handle shattered and that was the end of that tool. Harbor freight had a comparable saw for about $150 but unfortunatly due to the pandemic and everyone home doing repairs they were sold out. They were also sold out of saw tables, air nailers, air paint sprayers, and a few other things. I wound up paying $100 more at home depot for the compound mitre saw. I'm going back today to see if they have the saw tables back in stock. It cost under $50 with the 20% discount coupons. Before breaking my saw I bought a 10" blade for $15 that cost $30 at home depot. A 7 1/4" circular saw blade was only $5.00

Other than out of stock items I've never had a problem with them.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
In the old days when you were allowed two suitcases of 70lb each, I used to bring back a lot of tools from the USA when satying with my dive buddy's family. I used to enjoy browsing through his Harbor Freight newsletter and cutting out various coupons. :)

I picked up a good few pieces that were not even in the UK at that time. (y)

Even went there this last trip, just to get a cheap multimeter, so I could test some electrics for his widow, as the family had taken all his tools :( (and he was a tool guy :))

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I used to enjoy browsing through his Harbor Freight newsletter and cutting out various coupons. :)
The coupons are the best part. Always have free stuff with purchases and 20% discounts. They scan the coupons off my phone.
My daughter discovered Harbor Freight last weekend. She bought herself a nice automotive tool kit, a caliper compressor and brake kit, and a few other odds and ends. Came home and changed her own oil and brake pads ( with a little help from dad)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
A lot of Harbor Freight power tools are poorer quality than some other tools. I got a 'dremel' equivalent. It was okay, but did not seem to work as well as the dremel. I have gotten a couple of rock tumblers before. They are not made very well. But I did get a set of socket extension. They have been great.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thanks, everybody for answering. My problem was a 20V10 inch Bauer cordless chain saw. It worked well until I dropped it and bent the bar. Now I can't find any place to buy a new "bar". The store dozen't carry them. The online web site doesn't list them. Home Depot, Lowes and Ace doesn't carry them. My big complaint is Harbor Tool & Freight Corp. and Bauer Corp. ignore my messages, emails and voice mail. It would not surprise me if they are trying to follow Sear/Craftman for furture demise.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I have found trying to get customer service is not always easy.

Just got my new catalog in the mail today.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have a set of knurled ratchets in all three sizes, that have been brilliant. Had tools appear to be great, at least for DIY use.
A friend who works as a fitter does need beter quality tools, but for me they are more than adequate?

FWIW my old dive buddy used to spend ages on the phone with various customer service departments. :D
We are starting to get the same over here. :)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Harbor Tool and Freight finally got back to me. Basically what they said to me (in a nice way) tough luck. I taught that companies in USA by law had to have replacement parts. I guess I was mistaken. Tomorrow I will be buying a wood chipper. Now anybody care to guess where I will not be buying it. Slowly I will be replacing al my HT&F power tools with other products. Now I have already starting to get ribbing from my ROMEO CLUB members for buying from HT&F in the first place. Any of you folks belong to the ROMEO CLUB. You know "Retired Old Men Eating Out"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Believe it or not, my stepson has some ROMEO friends and goes with them sometimes. But since I am the anti-social curmudgeon of the group, I have not bothered to find the local chapter.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
AB, at our ages (because Dick7Access isn't a spring chicken either), the other possible meaning of "Romeo" kind of becomes unlikely.

And I can say that about him because we've met.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom