Hard Case on Weekday (1 Viewer)

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:06
Hi am having a problem with my weekday formula (kindly provided by the forum) thanks:) However I am using it in a Select Case and it doesn't appear to be working. I have tracked it from a breakpoint and it just bypasses the checking.

My code Is:
Code:
    Select Case Me.EndDate
        Case Weekday(Me.EndDate) = 1 Or Weekday(Me.EndDate) = 7
            MsgBox "Last Day of Leave is a " & WeekdayName([Me.EndDate]) & vbCrLf & "Invalid End Date", vbExclamation, "!Warning"
            Cancel = True
            Me.EndDate.Undo
            Exit Sub
    ...other cases ...
It's all plausable? isn't it?:(

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:06
Try:

Code:
Select Case Weekday(Me.EndDate)
  Case 1, 7

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
thanks Pbaldy, too focused on the other cases not to spot that, and it would have taken me a while. have a little trouble with the Msgbox now as I want to display weather it was a 'saturday' or 'sunday'.
from the original code posted I've also tried: WeekdayName((WeekDay([Me.EndDate])) as suggested by other posts but am getting a run time error '2465' can't find the field '|' referred to in your expression.
any thoughts?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:06
You've got the wrong number of parentheses there, unless it's a typo. I just tested this:

WeekdayName(Weekday([FieldName]))

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Yeh! it was a typo in the post. Are you able to test it in a MsgBox? I wonder if its a problem there, perhaps pass it in as a variable? I will try ...
lightray
Code:
        Case 1, 7
            [I]txtWeekendDay = WeekdayName(Weekday([Me.EndDate]))[/I]
            MsgBox "Last Day of Leave is a " & txtWeekendDay & vbCrLf & "Invalid End Date", vbExclamation, "!Warning"
            Cancel = True
            Me.EndDate.Undo
            Exit Sub
Tripped up on the Italic line with the sme error message:(

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06
just

format (enddat,"dddd") when you display it will give you the DAY NAME

R

Rich

Why are you surrounding Me.EndDate with brackets? [Me.EndDate]?

"Last Day of Leave is a " & " " & Format(EndDate, "dddd") & vbCrLf & " " & " Invalid etc"

lightray

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Teams, I discovered the problem, but seemed to get the wrong answer. Yeh! you're onto it Rich. I tried also Me.[EndDate] but my input test Saturday 25/11/2006, said it was Sunday! not sure what's happening there.

However I have implemented the fabulous gemma's idea (sorry Rich, ;) she got there first) and I'm happy to call it, done, but not dusted. I have 3 different forms that have start dates and end dates and I want to implement the same tests. I dare say I could build this into a module with the other date tests
Is EndDate < StartDate; Is StartDate on a Weekend;

Thanks for your input it's been great:)
Current solution
Code:
        Case 1, 7
            MsgBox "Last Day of Leave is a " & Format(EndDate, "dddd") & vbCrLf & "Invalid End Date", vbExclamation, "!Warning"
            Cancel = True
            Me.EndDate.Undo
            Exit Sub

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06
lightray

weekday determines which day of the week (ie 1-7) a date is. I think the default for day1 is Sunday but there is an optional parameter, where you can set a different day1.

Hence

Weekday(Me.EndDate,vbmonday) indicates that day1 should be monday etc.

have a look at the help about this.

R

Rich

It's Me.EndDate or Me!EndDate or [EndDate] depending on whether enddate is the name of the field or control

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom