Has impeachment lost its oomph? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:58
Historically, it takes a long time before there is a decision to impeach someone. How long did Clinton's impeachment take? Quite a few months, or perhaps even extending into years. Anyone got those stats?

Trump was impeached in record time, the first time. The second time, it took 8 hours, or something like that.

Has Nancy Pelosi trashed the tool of impeachment by playing childish political games? Will she go down in history as someone who should have been charged with abuse of power?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:58
Actually, the Democrats started talking about impeaching Trump before he even took the oath of office. This time, we have evidence that Biden has committed treason but we won't be able to actually impeach him until 2022 even if articles get filed this year. But, by that time, I'm sure Harris will have already gotten rid of him somehow.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Democrats, claim to support the rule-of-law, yet they trash that concept. The latest inappropriate "addition" to that list - impeachment. By using the concept of "Tyranny of the Majority" to crush the opposition, vindictive Pelosi has "nullified" impeachment as a viable tool to disciple a President. Furthermore, the "Tyranny of the Majority" is a threat to Democracy as it can be used to crush any dissent. Now any party that dislikes the President, should they have control of the House, can use "impeachment" for whatever reason (justified or not) they desire. The appropriated action by vindictive Pelosi to have express outrage would have been a motion to censure Trump.

Prior examples:
  • Sanctuary cities.
  • Rioting, looting, burning, and destruction of property allowed when done in the name "social justice"
  • Civil rights no longer about "equal opportunity", but know about obtaining special "rights" based on race (identity politics).
  • Immigration laws will no longer be enforced.
  • Speech contrary to the "left" is now being redefined as "hate speech" that should not receive First Amendment protections and should therefore be criminalized.
For Democrats, the ends justify the mean. The law is only relevant and respected when it furthers Democratic Party objectives.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
An additional late thought. Pelosi told the Democrats to jump. In lock-step unison, they all did. I do not recall hearing of one example of "maybe we should think about this before unthinkingly jumping off the cliff in mass like lemmings". Just prior to this snap impeachment, Congress was supposedly working on Covid-19 legislation, that never seemed to get finalized. (Gosh so may issues to consider.) Furthermore, the bill that was eventually passed was laden with pork as if Covid-19 relief was really just an afterthought. So when Pelosi actually wants something done, she gets it done. No questions of dispute allowed.

Peloi's actions not only cheapened the impeachment process, it also documented that Pelosi purposely sabotaged the passage of Covid-19 legislation. This was pure political theater to purposely affect the US election process, to damage Trump, and the Republican party. Pelosi's action hurt this country and are reprehensible. For Democrats, it is party over the national interest.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
“The mob was fed lies,” McConnell said. “They were provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like.”

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
False. Anyway, what about the Democratic people who endorsed BLM violence, claimed that the police used excessive force, demanded that police departments be de-funded, Harris set-up a bail fund so the rioters could go back to rioting; all of a sudden do an about face and claim that the police are good and the rioters are bad. Then there is Maxine Waters, as one of many Democrats, who advocated violence against Republicans.

Those who rioted at the Capital building deserve to be arrested, but so do those who rioted for almost all of 2020. Next the Congress people who supported the BLM rioting or otherwise called for violence against Republicans need to be condemned for inciting violence. Can't have two different standards.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Jon likes to throw that "Whataboutism" word out and that's all his forum is anymore.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It seems to me that impeaching a President means nothing and they carry on as normal.
I always thought it meant that if a President had been particularly bad, or committed a crime then they are removed from office - post haste.
How can a president be impeached twice and still carry on as normal? It means nothing.
Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It seems to me that impeaching a President means nothing and they carry on as normal.
I always thought it meant that if a President had been particularly bad, or committed a crime then they are removed from office - post haste.
How can a president be impeached twice and still carry on as normal? It means nothing.l
Correct conclusion. What you just saw occurring in the US was a lynching. Whenever a political party abuses a Constitutional tool for a vindictive sell-serving reason they cheapen the political process. Impeachment, now "means nothing". It is the Democrats who are the threat to democracy.

The rapidity with which the Democrats acted documents:
  • Had the Democrats really wanted to pass legislation for Covid-19 relief, they could have done so many months ago. It was held-up by Pelosi, a Democrat, to sabotage Trump and keep him from being reelected. Another example of the Democrats putting Party concerns above the national interest.
  • Democratic Congress people who glowing spoke of protesters as standing up for democracy and condemned the police, now condemn the protesters and support the police. Hypocrites.
  • None of the members in Congress questioned the vindictive actions of Pelosi. First, instead of impeachment, the more reasonable option of censure could have been pursued. Second, the Democrats in Congress acted like a crazed lynch mob. The democratic process is not served through a crazed lynch mob.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Well, I find it all most confusing and boring. Now you've got a female half-caste as deputy president. The British press put the knife into the half-caste Yank who married Prince Harry so she went crying back to the USA. Let's see how the new one gets on in the White House.
Another thing, Americans don't seem happy with whoever gets in or whatever party they lead. Especially. Those on these forums. Question- is there a party or candidate that would be acceptable to most?
How about the confederate party, loads of their flags at the riots the other day. You've tried a black president, that seemed to end in tears, you've tried a clown, that ended in the riots, now it's an old bloke and a half-caste female. What's next - a transvestite?
Col

Dreamweaver

Local time
I don't normally get involved in this sort of topic but the american polital system seems so F****ed up, I'm lisrning to a set of books at the moment by Christopher G. Nuttall the series is called the empires Corps and I can see a lot of what happened in them books starting to happen even now, I have to admit the UK system seems just as f****ed up sometimes.

mick

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
How can a president be impeached twice and still carry on as normal?
You mean you think that a president can be impeached when they're not even in office? Of course this is meaningless--what else could it be?

Yes, @Jon I think imp. has lost its oomph, ESPECIALLY now.....In my opinion, even if they do send articles of impeachment over to the senate, and even if the senate does vote to convict, it won't stand up in court. In my opinion the US Supreme Court will gladly take on the question of whether you can impeach someone who's not even in office at the time. The answer will be No, thus the whole thing is just a waste of time. I mean we know the first one was a waste of time, but this one will be even a dumber and more obvious waste, because it's extra-constitutional by almost everyone's judgment.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
is there a party or candidate that would be acceptable to most?
Trump was so unpopular with independents, the Democrats could have won clean by simply nominating a rational candidate like Tulsi Gabbard. Instead they rigged the nomination to get an empty suit that the Marxists could manipulate and for good measure attached a real Marxist to the ticket so they could dump Biden at the earliest possible opportunity.
How can a president be impeached twice and still carry on as normal?
The impeachments had nothing to do with any crimes. They were just political attempts to get rid of Trump. They are so afraid of Trump that the Democrats had to impeach him a second time so they could attempt to bar him from ever running again. Mitch McConnel, who has always hated Trump and obstructed him whenever possible went along with the joke and even threatened Trump that he would call the vote in the Senate if Trump pardoned Julien Assange. Everyone in the deep state hates Julien because he made them look stupid, not because he committed any crime.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I didn't realise that the speech by Biden was a comedy routine worthy of Las Vegas.
He did jokes on 'uniting the people of the USA'. He referred to God (because God is American). I missed a lot because I was laughing so much.
Then some woman came on and sang a song. All in all, a good routine, shame the American people will ignore it all and carry on rioting and killing.
Still, on the bright side, let's hope the Trump lovers here will find another topic to argue about. A request please, can we argue about something us Brits understand? (Remember some of us are not well read - ie, stupid and thick)
Let's give the new bloke and his half-caste friend a chance, you never know, they may be sensible.
The orange clown and his widow-in-waiting have gone so let it drop now.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
half-caste friend
Hope no one calls you out for hate speech on that one. It checks several boxes and any liberals reading it would immediately dox you and throw eggs at your house. They'll have the CIA harass Jon to give up your email address so they can track you down.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hope no one calls you out for hate speech on that one. It checks several boxes and any liberals reading it would immediately dox you and throw eggs at your house. They'll have the CIA harass Jon to give up your email address so they can track you down.
'Dox you'? Never heard of it.
Isn't whatshername Harris a half-caste? My apologies, I heard she was.
Did you catch the size of that bible he used? Must be large print, he is getting on a bit.
What's the CIA got to do with it? If you think my phrase is criminal (doesn't the CIA mean Criminal Investigation somethings), you need to look around your country my dear, try taking off the blinkers, I'm sure the CIA have more important fish to fry.
If you want a hate speech, listen to some of your hero's speeches or read some of his vile tweets.
Maybe I should sympathise with you, your love has gone, never to return, you must be heartbroken.
Col

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom