Have no idea why this isn't working... (1 Viewer)

andreas_udby

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:42
Could I have constructed my joins improperly? Here's the deal:

I have a query that pulls from three other queries:

qrySegment: [Business Segment]

qryHC: [Business Segment] [HC_Sales] [HC_Ops] [HC_Enab] etc.

qry2_Ldr: [Business Segment] [Ldr_EB] [Ldr_SEB] [Ldr_VP] etc.

I'm using the new query to calculate new variables from the previous tables. Here's my SQL statement (tabs and carriage returns provided for clarity):

SELECT qrySegment.[Business Segment],
qryHC.[HC_Sales]+[HC_Ops]+[HC_Enab] AS Ex_Total,
qry2_Ldr.[Ldr_EB]+[Ldr_SEB]+[Ldr_VP] AS Ldr_Total

FROM qry2_Ldr RIGHT JOIN
(qryHC RIGHT JOIN
qrySegment ON
qryHC.[Business Segment] = qrySegment.[Business Segment]) ON
qry2_Ldr.[Business Segment] = qrySegment.[Business Segment];

Now, the new variable "Ex_Total" calculates just fine, but I can't get anything to return for "Ldr_Total", even when I remove the qryHC query and run just the results for the qry2_Ldr calculation. When I select the individual fields from qry2_Ldr, they return just fine also; it's just the calculation that's failing. What have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Andreas

andreas_udby

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:42
Wait a second... I just realized that the "Ldr_VP" variable has no data in it... when I used the Nz function on this thing, my results returned just fine.

So now I have a new question: How do calculations in a query handle Null values? Do they prevent the whole calculation from working, as seems to be happening in my query? Is there a way to force a query with Null values in it to treat them as or replace them with zeros?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:42
Aggregate functions are designed to handle null values correctly. This is explained in help but I don't remember where. For example, if you have three rows:
xx 4
yy null
zz 8

And you use the aggregate function Avg(SomeField), the answer will be 6 NOT 4 and Sum(SomeField) will be 12. Count(SomeField) will be 2 BUT Count(*) will be 3.

However, as you have seen, arithmetic operations fail. Therefore, you need to use the Nz() function in expressions involvine atithmetic operations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom