HDTV via USB for Laptop - advice on basics? (1 Viewer)

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 15:07
Heya everyone.

i'm looking to buy a TV tuner for my laptop but am confused about the basics:

i'd like something that i can just plug in and start watching, so to speak (or whatever exists that comes closest) - kind of like mobile broadband, you know with those USB dongle type thingies that you can use while travelling?

but what i've found with my small amount of research now is that these USB tuners (for HDTV via USB) all require some form of aerial.

this one (see link) seems good from the feedback, especially at the price ($AUD) compared to others BUT all said the antenna was useless, and they had to make other reception arrangements! does this remove portability?

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Computers_and_IT/Manacom/BLAZE_HDTV_TUNER_INC_USB_CARD/25231

my question is, does the USB have to be plugged in to a HD aerial (do they even exist) or when these people say they plug into a cable that they are using the regular analog TV cable that people have in their homes already (they never seem to specify)? or is that what the tuner does? does anyone know of a HDTV USB dongly thing that they're happy with?

other specs of personal preference i can deal with, like whether or not to get a one with a remote, but it's the techy specys i'm not familiar with.

i tried looking for info in our government website for digital TV, but it's really rather useless except to 'estimate' when any particular area in australia will be turning on/off digital/analogue and only targets people wanting to watch digital TV on their home TV, that is -no IT solutions.

is there any other specification i need to worry about? i've looked at boxed units in stores, and my computer pretty much always meets specification except this aerial thing:

HP Pavilion dv2754tx
---------------------
2 Gb RAM
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750
250 Gb HDD 5400 rpm
NVidia GeForce with dedicated 256 Mb mem

Windows Vista Home Premium
DirectX 10
ADSL internet connection
---------------------

don't know of any other specs i need to be aware of, but here's my dxdiag file just in case:

thanks in advance, everyone!

Attachments

• DxDiag 2009-05-22.txt
    56.4 KB · Views: 753

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom