Hello fellow creators (1 Viewer)

Cynthia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:31
Hi
Obviously, I'm Cynthia, it is my real name.

I first encountered Access quite a few years ago. It was Access 2 and I remember loading it from several floppy discs.

I went to help an old friend who's PA had left him suddenly. He was the editor of the European version of an American electronics magazine (EDN). A database had come in from the US office but no-one had been able to make it work. It had even been sent to a so-called expert here in the UK. Brian (the Editor) knew that I like tinkering with computers and asked me to play with it. Now, I had never even seen a database, let alone Access! Talk about jumping in at the deep end, it was more like mid Atlantic.

Well, it took me a while but I got it to work and took it forward to service a second magazine with similar subjects as well.

I still enjoy creating the odd database and trying to get everything to work. I really only know how to use the basic bits.

My databases so far have included one that keeps records for a scheme for keeping doctors up to date and pairing them with others following the 'Shipman' incident. (For Leicester University)

A database for a financial expert who trains solicitors and accountants about the latest tax changes. (There are new taxation bulletins at least every month!) It is used to contact people near the location of his next seminar and also record each delegate's speciality subjects.

A simple one for a window cleaner whose customers have different time ranges for visits (e.g. some are weekly, some every 10 days, some monthly etc.) The database suggests where he should go next.

One for a military dinner where diners choose their meal in advance. It counts the number of each course for the kitchen and creates a place card with the guest's name on one side and their chosen meal on the back (inverted, so as to make a little stand-up card)

My current project is for the membership secretary of a charitable trust. The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust is restoring a garden, which was created in 1865 in the Gothic style. Everything is done by volunteers. A magical place. It is Norwich, England.

I spend half my year in UK/Europe and half in New Zealand. I'm supposed to be retired.

Thank you for the help I've received from here so far. I'm sure I shall be back again soon!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:31
Welcome aboard Cynthia! Sounds like you've had a lot of fun. I think my daughter lives not too far from Norwich, in Bury St Edmunds. I'll have to see if she's been to that garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom