Hello - New membe (1 Viewer)

jinty

Local time
Today, 15:16
Hi, I'm Janette from Scotland. Just started a new post for a small aircraft engineering firm to help create document control management system using Access. I've been out of the programming/DBA role for 13 years so a new challenge for me and not the job I applied for but looking forward to the challenge.
Just wondering if any of you know of any good access courses around that I could use as a a refresher and if Access is good for document control.

thanks for reading
Janette

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 18:16
Good afternoon Janette and welcome to AWF!

Here is a link to a series of YouTube videos that you may find useful. He also has an advanced series if you feel you have the basics down...

https://youtu.be/kogGwRIHH6o

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:16
Hi welcome to AWF.

I would look at off the shelf document management systems first.

Try and find ones with 30 day free or similar.

This will lead you to a ready made solution, or will confirm the need for a bespoke system, most likely written in MS Access.

Exploring a bespoke will demonstrate ideas and methods you can emulate in MS Access, and provide you with good questions to discuss with other interested parties.

Write up a broad overview of the whole system, don't waste a lot of time on it, it will change in unexpected ways.

Identify the 2 or 3 most important aspects, these could be saving time/money - legal requirements - meeting ISO and/or BS standards, etc.

Focus on those chosen aspects and expand the dB from those.

Trying to create the whole thing in one go is usually a mistake.

Sent from Newbury UK

jinty

Local time
Thanks for the updates. The database would be developed in stages once I have my head round the requirements as well as looking at off the shelf systems

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Janette. Welcome to AWF!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:16
Janette, welcome.

Yes, Access can be the basis of a document control system. However, as pointed out by Uncle Gizmo, the details are important.

You have the right idea, that this DB should be done in stages, but let me give you just a brief suggestion to reinforce something Uncle Gizmo said.

The FIRST thing to do is to put together an overview of requirements. You can't even evaluate a commercial off-the-shelf system if you don't have an idea of where you need to go. At this stage of the game, you need to prioritize your requirements and even check with your new boss as to which requirements are flexible vs. which are not (regulatory or tax-related, e.g.) If your boss is on-board with this, you will almost be guaranteed to have better results.

This is meant to REINFORCE what you heard and what you said, because I think you have shown us some good attitude here. Good luck and when you have any specifics, come back to one of the technical sub-forums to ask your questions.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:16
Welcome Janette/jinty.
I agree with NG re the Steve Bishop youtube video series. And the others who have also confirmed your working in stages.
I have a series of links to articles here that you may find helpful.
Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom