Help Query Parameter - Input box (1 Viewer)

tinpot

Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
I have been working to try to create on time delivery report. Whenever I use a calculated field in the query to calculate another field I am getting the input prompt. I have used the builder to ensure spelling is correct and still I am getting the input message box.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:13
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Whenever I use a calculated field in the query to calculate another field I am getting the input prom

You can't do that. Chicken and egg.

The query doesn't know about any calculated fields until you run the query, so if you expect to calculate it in one spot and then use it in another it can't because it hasn't calculated it. So, either you make the first calculated field in one query, save it, then use the query as the basis for another query where you can use the calculated field like a regular field.

Or you use the logic of the calculation downstream in the same query. Suppose you have a calculated FieldZ based on calculated FieldY:

FieldY: FieldA + FieldB

FieldZ: FieldY*3

It has no idea what FieldY is because you are calculating it in the same query. You use FieldY's logic in FieldZ without referenceing FieldY:

FieldY: FieldA + FieldB

FieldZ: (FieldA + FieldB) * 3

Or again, make a query calculating FieldY save it, then make a new query at which time FieldY will be available for use in any other calculations.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Just FYI, I moved your thread out of the Introduction Forum. You can still start a new thread there to introduce yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom