Help! with application won't run (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Today, 03:46
I have my app completed, it's in the format DB, I have full menus disabled and unchecked show navigation. When I open the FE from my home computer and connect to the BE on my server at work everything works as it should. When I get to work and open the FE on workstation and try to connect to the same BE I get "The expression ON Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Return without GoSub". IT is an exact copy of the FE on my home computer. What the heck is the problem?!! The on click is setting the var db to current .DB I can't figure it out.

slharman1

Local time
Looking further, I am getting "your network access was interrupted, re-open the database and try again"
One thing I forgot to mention is that I am sharing the back end with two different applications, the job tracking app and the plant management app. I am not sure if that is okay or not.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:46
Insufficient info. You could post copies of your FE and BE for readers to review and provide feedback. Remove any confidential info.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:46
it can be many, what language did you use on building your app?
what language do you have at work?

slharman1

Local time
it can be many, what language did you use on building your app?
what language do you have at work?
Both english access 2016
What gets me is my intensive app works in both places but not the smaller one, they do share a BE though.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:46
On your Work PC create a Blank New Database.

Then do an Import from the FE database.

Relink to the BE and you should be OK

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One thing I forgot to mention is that I am sharing the back end with two different applications
to answer the question, it is not a problem for two different 'app FE's' to use the same backend. From the back end's perspective, it is no different from two different users accessing the backend whilst using the same app (local copy of the FE on each users computer of course)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
May find this useful.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If relinking worked, then the problem is most likely that you are using mapped drives and the two computers are not using identical mapping to the server. The best solution for environments where this is common is that rather than using a mapped drive, use the actuall UNC name of the server. That will ensure that the FE works from all computers on the network.

slharman1

Local time
If relinking worked, then the problem is most likely that you are using mapped drives and the two computers are not using identical mapping to the server. The best solution for environments where this is common is that rather than using a mapped drive, use the actuall UNC name of the server. That will ensure that the FE works from all computers on the network.
So how do I put that into the linked table manager, I don't see where I can put the UNC into the linked table manager.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
No you would put it in the shortcut on the Users desktop that Opens the FE

slharman1

Local time
No you would put it in the shortcut on the Users desktop that Opens the FE
The front end is on the user's desktop, they just click it and it should open the front end located on the physical drive and connect to the BE on the server.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the relink dialog, instead of choosing a drive, type in the full path to the server starting with the two slashes.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome.

Now, when you redistribute the FE, the links will work on all computers.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just a further thought. You ought to have code in your front end that maintains a persistent connection to the back end. This will speed up performance for multiple concurrent users, and may help protect against network dropouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom