Hi and need some help (1 Viewer)

DanielleCO

Local time
Today, 08:43
Hi, thanks for your reply. if i can't use the lookup then how i get to choose form a list if i want to make sure to always use the same caracteristics?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:43
Hi Danielle
MajP said to remove the Lookup fields. All you need o do is change the Lookup to Text Data Type.

Then on your Data Input Form you create 2 x Combobox's. The 1st Combobox Looks up the Margin1 value, then the 2nd Combobox
would only show the matching Margin2 value.

DanielleCO

Local time
so what i want to do.
i have products with prices, customers and projets.
i wan't to create a form in which i can choose my product, add the quantity and then the total price must be shown.
then in each form, i want to be able to add the 2 factors that will change my total price. 1 factor will multiply the price with 1.7 and the second with 1.2. but in a different form for a different client these factor can for example be 1.5 en 1.3.

my form must give me the possibility to quickly make a quotation for a customer.

DanielleCO

Local time
Hi Danielle
MajP said to remove the Lookup fields. All you need o do is change the Lookup to Text Data Type.

Then on your Data Input Form you create 2 x Combobox's. The 1st Combobox Looks up the Margin1 value, then the 2nd Combobox
would only show the matching Margin2 value.
ok, i'll give it a try

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
ok, i'll give it a try
You need a Main Form based on Customers
With a Subform based on Orders set as a Single Form then
nested in the subform you need another Subform based on OrderDetails set as Continuous Form.

DanielleCO

Local time
sorry Mike60smart but i don't understand. what lookup fields is MajP talking about?
those in my tables? for example in my products table i have a lookup to the category. if i set this to text then i can't choose from a list anymore.

DanielleCO

Local time
You need a Main Form based on Customers
With a Subform based on Orders set as a Single Form then
nested in the subform you need another Subform based on OrderDetails set as Continuous Form.
ok. i'll give that a try. the more i learn about access the less i understand :rolleyes:

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
sorry Mike60smart but i don't understand. what lookup fields is MajP talking about?
those in my tables? for example in my products table i have a lookup to the category. if i set this to text then i can't choose from a list anymore.
You should NOT use Lookups in a table. When you create a Form based on your Products Table you would create a Combobox to Lookup the Category.

DanielleCO

Local time
You should NOT use Lookups in a table. When you create a Form based on your Products Table you would create a Combobox to Lookup the Category.
yes that i understand but when i create new products in my table i want to link them to a product category. not in the form but in the table

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
yes that i understand but when i create new products in my table i want to link them to a product category. not in the form but in the table
OK Here is your Product Form with the Category Combobox added.

Attachments

• Database11.zip
    243.1 KB · Views: 30

DanielleCO

Local time
Oh! Ok thank you so much. Now i get it :rolleyes:.
that's one problem fixed. thank you!

Cotswold

Local time
.....i get an error. Chat gpt tells me i need to use vba but i can't make it work.
With mentioning that, I just wonder if the database was designed by ChatGP
AI systems are built on training neural nets on a task and will require to have had a huge number of Access databases passed through it, so to speak. I suspect the number will actually be fairly small and so it is unable to arrive at a satisfactory solution. (unless MS, Google or your anti-virus downloads and sells all of our accdb's of course!)
Additionally, as with all generated software the result tends to be verbose, and can be difficult to follow and maintain.

If it did originate from ChatGPT, then that will explain the design. So out of interest; was it a ChatGPT development?

Last edited:

DanielleCO

Local time
With mentioning that, I just wonder if the database was designed by ChatGP
AI systems are built on training neural nets on a task and will require to have had a huge number of Access databases passed through it, so to speak. I suspect the number will actually be fairly small and so it is unable to arrive at a satisfactory solution. (unless MS, Google or your anti-virus downloads and sells all of our accdb's of course!)
Additionally, as with all generated software the result tends to be verbose, and can be difficult to follow and maintain.

If it did originate from ChatGPT, then that will explain the design. So out of interest; was it a ChatGPT development?
no it wasn't. i had a look at a youtube video that i duplicated. it was what i wanted in the video and i made it exactly the same in order to modify it afterwards in fucntion of my needs

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Danielle
Have you managed to construct your forms based on my suggested layout?

DanielleCO

Local time
Hi Danielle
Have you managed to construct your forms based on my suggested layout?
Hi Mike, yes i did manage. thank you so much. i'm still facing an other problem though. i've added a new post about this. i'll send you the name of my post. maybe you could have a look if you don't mind?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Mike, yes i did manage. thank you so much. i'm still facing an other problem though. i've added a new post about this. i'll send you the name of my post. maybe you could have a look if you don't mind?
OK send the link

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom