Hi everyone (1 Viewer)

Lou292612

Local time
Today, 20:07
Hi, I'm Louisa from Melbourne Australia. In my previous work life I was a Java programmer (I worked more on the back end side of things, wrote plenty of SQL queries, JDBC calls etc...). But about 10 years ago when my kids were little I abandoned the programming career and have been working in the family manufacturing business, working towards taking it over from my father.

The ordering and scheduling systems there are mainly manual and paper based, and due to my father being totally computer illiterate and still very hands on I've never worried about changing them. But with him now semi-retired and with us trying to do more of the office functions from home due to covid-19, I am working on a customer order/quoting/job tracking system. I've been unable to find anything off the shelf that does everything we require without being way too over the top with features we don't need. In the short term we are just doing the bare minimum with a spreadsheet. But I kept wanting it to work like a database so I started looking into Access, as we have an Office 365 subscription and I wanted to be able to get something up and running fairly quickly. I've done a couple of Access LinkedIn learning courses, and am now starting to get stuck in to coding my design. I'm finding I'm really enjoying getting back into coding! I'm quite rusty as far as programming and databases and I'm not very familiar with the nuts and bolts of Access but I at least remember the basic concepts and conventions of programming and database design eg normalisation, naming conventions etc.

I came across these forums today and they look like they will be a great help. Please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions :) Thanks in advance!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:07
Hi. Louisa. Welcome to AWF!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:07
Welcome to AWF, Louisa! Sounds like you have a good foundation for relational databases.
I visited Malbin (kind of the local pronunciation, no?) on a AU NZ cruise. Best vacation ever!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:07
Welcome to AWF Louisa.
There are a number of Access articles in this link on Database Planing and Design that may be helpful to you. There are many forum participants with sites and links to Access related info.

Lou292612

Local time
Today, 20:07
Thanks everyone! jdraw those links look great, thank you. Micron i would have gone with "melbin" but that's pretty close ;)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:07
howdy Louisa! Welcome to Access World forums. How nice to have a family business! what do you manufacture?

Access will be a wonderful tool for you. Sounds like you've got a good foundation to make a successful application, and you'll find plenty of knowledgeable people here who are happy to help.

Whenever you're ready to ask a question, head over the the Forums and pick whichever place seems most suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom