Hi there, i've discovered an issue with a file i have which might be simple?? (1 Viewer)

luketornado

Local time
Today, 19:18
Hi there everyone,
quick background to what i am talking about, I have a program I use which I use at work to keep track of all machines we have in our possession, we create individual forms for each machine and update it with various bits of information such as parts needed, etc.

This program links to an access form on the network which all computers are connected to called 'tables.mdb'
This file has all information stored which can be accessed from all computers, one day which a computer is editing information is disconnects from the network causing a disruption which atm, if you try and load the program which opens the file, you try to access the file by opening it through desktop or via microsoft access, copy and pasting it or adjusting it in anyway is causing your computer screen to freeze and crash.

I have logged into the network server to retrieve said file and downloaded it which i am now able to access however the program wont open it as it says the file size is too large, when i look into the different reports inside, one form which logs the machines has machines ID 1 and above and increases with every input, there is an error input which has an ID of -793859204 which i assume is causing the error however i cannot delete it from the form, it gives me an error, when i press help it says

The search key was not found in any record. (Error 3709)
This error occurs when an ISAM SEEK is being executed and there are no matching values in the index.

What should I do?

Many thanks
-Luke

Untitled.png

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:18
Did you try Compact & Repair?

This is a split design database?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If C&R doesn't help, you might try exporting all the objects into a new, blank Access file.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I see Office activation failed. That may be affecting your ability to run code

luketornado

Local time
I see Office activation failed. That may be affecting your ability to run code
I have copied the file which I am using on my home laptop, I know it says office activation failed however I have full access to full functionality so it is not an issue. :)

luketornado

Local time
Did you try Compact & Repair?

This is a split design database?
I have tried this option and it does work, I have been able to remove said error however I can't seem to test the file with the program atm until tomorrow when I have access to the our program on our work computers. Thank you very much for the advice :)

luketornado

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If C&R doesn't help, you might try exporting all the objects into a new, blank Access file.
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your response, it is much appreciated! :D

I tried your method and it gave me an error saying
"Reserved error <Item>; there is no message for this error. (Error 3000)"

Reserved error <Item>; there is no message for this error. (Error 3000)

An unexpected error occurred. The specified code identifies the conditions under which this error can occur. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for more information.

Thanks
-Luke

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your response, it is much appreciated! :D

I tried your method and it gave me an error saying
"Reserved error <Item>; there is no message for this error. (Error 3000)"

Reserved error <Item>; there is no message for this error. (Error 3000)

An unexpected error occurred. The specified code identifies the conditions under which this error can occur. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for more information.

Thanks
-Luke
Oh, that's not good. You might consider sharing a copy of your db, if you feel comfortable with it, so that maybe someone here could give it a try for you.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Hi there everyone,
quick background to what i am talking about, I have a program I use which I use at work to keep track of all machines we have in our possession, we create individual forms for each machine and update it with various bits of information such as parts needed, etc.

This program links to an access form on the network which all computers are connected to called 'tables.mdb'
This file has all information stored which can be accessed from all computers, one day which a computer is editing information is disconnects from the network causing a disruption which atm, if you try and load the program which opens the file, you try to access the file by opening it through desktop or via microsoft access, copy and pasting it or adjusting it in anyway is causing your computer screen to freeze and crash.

I have logged into the network server to retrieve said file and downloaded it which i am now able to access however the program wont open it as it says the file size is too large, when i look into the different reports inside, one form which logs the machines has machines ID 1 and above and increases with every input, there is an error input which has an ID of -793859204 which i assume is causing the error however i cannot delete it from the form, it gives me an error, when i press help it says

The search key was not found in any record. (Error 3709)
This error occurs when an ISAM SEEK is being executed and there are no matching values in the index.

What should I do?

Many thanks
-Luke

View attachment 98338
That is an almost classic example of a corrupted record, or perhaps two. The "#deleted" record is probably showing that because that record is corrupted. It would have been Repair ID 119 or 120, based on the information in your screen shot.

The other, negative, Repair ID is also probably corrupted and would have been either 119 or 120 if it had been saved successfully.

Delete both records. You may (temporarily) lose the values represented by them, but with a recordset that small, recovering them from either a paper source or even a recent backup should be possible. In any event you're very lucky if those are the only two bad records.

Now as to why that happens. Here's a giant clue in your description: "....one day which a computer is editing information is disconnects from the network..." If the computer is disconnecting from the network while some one is entering or updating data, you have a big problem because that's a guarantee of corrupted data--just like we see here.

WHY would anyone disconnect from your network with Access open and a record being edited?

If it's an unreliable network (and maybe WIFI), this is not the user's fault, it's the fault of the network administrator. If users are randomly disconnecting while in the middle of a transaction, it's a training problem, again, not exactly the user's fault.

If the relational database application is not split into an interface (usually called the Front End) in one accdb and tables for the data (usually called the Back End) in another accdb, now, right now, is the time to correct that design problem.

Each user gets their own copy of the FE and a shared copy of the BE is stored somewhere on your network.

Under the circumstances, a back up protocol that creates backups of the data needs to be in place now, also right now. I'd suggest hourly backups might not be too frequent if your corruption problem is severe.

luketornado

Local time
That is an almost classic example of a corrupted record, or perhaps two. The "#deleted" record is probably showing that because that record is corrupted. It would have been Repair ID 119 or 120, based on the information in your screen shot.

The other, negative, Repair ID is also probably corrupted and would have been either 119 or 120 if it had been saved successfully.

Delete both records. You may (temporarily) lose the values represented by them, but with a recordset that small, recovering them from either a paper source or even a recent backup should be possible. In any event you're very lucky if those are the only two bad records.

Now as to why that happens. Here's a giant clue in your description: "....one day which a computer is editing information is disconnects from the network..." If the computer is disconnecting from the network while some one is entering or updating data, you have a big problem because that's a guarantee of corrupted data--just like we see here.

WHY would anyone disconnect from your network with Access open and a record being edited?

If it's an unreliable network (and maybe WIFI), this is not the user's fault, it's the fault of the network administrator. If users are randomly disconnecting while in the middle of a transaction, it's a training problem, again, not exactly the user's fault.

If the relational database application is not split into an interface (usually called the Front End) in one accdb and tables for the data (usually called the Back End) in another accdb, now, right now, is the time to correct that design problem.

Each user gets their own copy of the FE and a shared copy of the BE is stored somewhere on your network.

Under the circumstances, a back up protocol that creates backups of the data needs to be in place now, also right now. I'd suggest hourly backups might not be too frequent if your corruption problem is severe.
Hi there,

Thank you for your response, at the moment as I will refer to a previous comment I recently made:
I have used 2 methods at the moment which are an 'automatic fix' and also a 'manual fix' regarding the 'compact and fix' method, the automatic fix is where i go into file, then compact and repair database and then the manual fix where is go into file, options, current database, then ticking 'compact on close'. Both of these methods have allowed me to go back into the file and delete the said 'error' however I can't test these fixes until i have access to the main computers at work.

Regarding the Repair ID 119 and 120. ID 119 had been removed last week due to a duplication entry made recently so we removed the previous entry which you can see. ID 120 I see no record of that, I have no idea why that is not stated.

At the time the file went corrupt the computer in question was connected over WI-FI, all other computers are wired via ethernet to the network, we have had one issue previously where we had a similar issue with the program being unusable after a temporary WI-FI disconnection from this computer which resolved after waiting 30 minutes. At the time the program was in use also editing a file however in the tables.mdb it had added a Report ID which was labelled error on every column and wasn't able to be removed however it had some how resolved itself.
We had condemned this computer from being used however someone unaware of this issue had reused the program which is how this current error has arisen. Said computer is now condemned until proper network connection are put in place.

As you mention which is correct, we are given a copy of the FE which is installed on all computers which gives us access to different functions we need (e.g. Calibration, Validation, Repair System). The repair system is the one which was open at the time. Inside the program we are given the function to change where the location of the BE form (table.mdb) file is. Inside the file I am able to change all data within the different tables apart from the Repair Quotes which contains the report ID -780127727 within IDs 39 to 162.

We did make a backup of this file however it is from 22/01/2022, we didn't expect another error, we also do daily backups of other systems which we will now put in place for this system although with the problem computer not being connected via ethernet, once this is rectified we would not encounter this error again as it has always been caused by the same issue or network connection error.

Thanks
-Luke

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Hi there,

Thank you for your response, at the moment as I will refer to a previous comment I recently made:
I have used 2 methods at the moment which are an 'automatic fix' and also a 'manual fix' regarding the 'compact and fix' method, the automatic fix is where i go into file, then compact and repair database and then the manual fix where is go into file, options, current database, then ticking 'compact on close'. Both of these methods have allowed me to go back into the file and delete the said 'error' however I can't test these fixes until i have access to the main computers at work.

Regarding the Repair ID 119 and 120. ID 119 had been removed last week due to a duplication entry made recently so we removed the previous entry which you can see. ID 120 I see no record of that, I have no idea why that is not stated.

At the time the file went corrupt the computer in question was connected over WI-FI, all other computers are wired via ethernet to the network, we have had one issue previously where we had a similar issue with the program being unusable after a temporary WI-FI disconnection from this computer which resolved after waiting 30 minutes. At the time the program was in use also editing a file however in the tables.mdb it had added a Report ID which was labelled error on every column and wasn't able to be removed however it had some how resolved itself.
We had condemned this computer from being used however someone unaware of this issue had reused the program which is how this current error has arisen. Said computer is now condemned until proper network connection are put in place.

As you mention which is correct, we are given a copy of the FE which is installed on all computers which gives us access to different functions we need (e.g. Calibration, Validation, Repair System). The repair system is the one which was open at the time. Inside the program we are given the function to change where the location of the BE form (table.mdb) file is. Inside the file I am able to change all data within the different tables apart from the Repair Quotes which contains the report ID -780127727 within IDs 39 to 162.

We did make a backup of this file however it is from 22/01/2022, we didn't expect another error, we also do daily backups of other systems which we will now put in place for this system although with the problem computer not being connected via ethernet, once this is rectified we would not encounter this error again as it has always been caused by the same issue or network connection error.

Thanks
-Luke
The very last paid consulting gig I took as a consultant was eerily similar to the situation you describe. It reinforced my believe that one can never have too many backups and that Wifi is inherently unusable with Access. YMMV, but I wouldn't trust a business critical application to it.

luketornado

Local time
The very last paid consulting gig I took as a consultant was eerily similar to the situation you describe. It reinforced my believe that one can never have too many backups and that Wifi is inherently unusable with Access. YMMV, but I wouldn't trust a business critical application to it.
Well as you say, this "business application" is sort of tailor made as it's original intent was to be used as a calibration report program where we input different variables and is eventually exported into a pdf. However this has been adapted to include a machine report section which we have requested, it has always worked for our needs on every other computer over ethernet network connection, however when used on this single computer in question and said computer loses connection over wi-fi to the network, it has caused problem so we have tried to learn from this by changing it from wi-fi to a wired connection although in this isolation case I have showed here in the thread someone has used it over wi-fi when it shouldn't have been used.

Thanks
-Luke

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
What features may be unavailable if Access / Office is not activated?

If I recall correctly, after a grace period of 30 days, all Office files become read only.
That would mean data can't be added/edited and most, if not all, code cannot run.

amorosik

Local time
Today, 20:18
For @luketornado
I see that the Access environment has not been activated yet, can you tell us if it was installed more than 30 days ago?
What version is it (2013, 2016 ...)?
Have you noticed if there are any features that cannot be used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom