Hiding Navigation Pane VBA by User Access Level (1 Viewer)

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:29
I have had to ask quite a few questions in an effort to secure a database for my company. What I am trying to do is make the tables in the database secure but also available to the correct people when they are logged in. The reason being that most of the people using this database are not familiar with access but the ones who we do not want to have access to it are more familiar.

I have created a log in form as well as lables containing the login information and access levels. The database has one large table full of information that I have split into a back end (The backend has a separate password as well) I have successfully coded the login form to log in different users correctly. When they are logged in successfully I have created a navigation form that allows them to access the forms, reports and queries but not the tables. What I need to find out if I can use the access levels to put a certain amount of security on the database.

For example:
Access Level 1 - Administrator
This level should be able to see everything, the navigation pane should be available once they are logged in and they should be able to use the label links to the back end.
Access Level 2 - Editor
This level should have the navigation pane hidden, they should not be able to use sticky keys to open it and they should not have access to the options menu that has the check box to hide or show the navigation pane.
Access Level 3 - Reader
This level should have no access to the navigation pane like above, but also they should not be able to use the ribbon, no pulling queries or or creating forms.

I have tried using the code:
DoCmd.SelectObject acTable, "tblMyTable", True
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowHide
But it has not worked for me so far.

On a side note, if there is a way for me to change the edit restriction of a form based on the login access level (without making them log in again) that would be great. Thank you in advance for any suggestions

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 10:29
...What I am trying to do is make the tables in the database secure but also available to the correct people when they are logged in. The reason being that most of the people using this database are not familiar with access but the ones who we do not want to have access to it are more familiar.
My suggestion is to split the database and put the datapart (backend) on a SQL-Server, there you've more control over which user is allowed to do certain things. Then your problem is, the users you want to limit are them there have the knowledge to get access to the data in other ways.
On a side note, if there is a way for me to change the edit restriction of a form based on the login access level (without making them log in again) that would be great. Thank you in advance for any suggestions
Could you explain in a little more details, what you exact wants?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:29
hide the navigation pane and use customized ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom