Solved Hiring a Database Developer (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:17
I agree with almost all of @Pat Hartman's very clear & detailed answer
The only point I would qualify is:
1. It is very close to impossible to develop an application using a team when using Access as your dev platform. Even when Access supported a tool like SourceSafe, it was still a problem. So, although the user count for access is essentially unlimited if you are using an RDBMS, the developer count is pretty much limited to ONE and that essentially limits the size of an application
Working as a team can be difficult with any development platform unless each team member has clearly defined & separate tasks.

That is certainly true for Access but providing each team member does work on separate areas there are ways of merging different versions even though SourceSafe has long since been deprecated. For example, Phillip Stiefel has a highly regarded commercial product called Avercy for this purpose. When I used to work in a team, we used a free application called WinMerge to compare versions and merge any code differences.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:17
I've worked on many multi-million dollar applications for the mainframe. They are always multi-developer and the tools specifically support multiple developers starting with source code management. The Access issue revolves around having only a single container to hold all objects. Since multiple developers cannot work in the same physical database at the same time, they each must have their own development copy. Then the team would need a "librarian" who would integrate (and test) each component as unit testing is competed. If it is ever necessary to to back and modify something already integrated, it gets messy.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:17
All of this is good advice, especially the_doc_man. Allow me to add:
My two cents: try to find an app or two that do many (all) of the things that you would like in a manner that you would like them done. there must be quite a few apps projects for repairs, renovations, and new construction even if they are not originally built for the hospitals and clinics. This should be your starting point. You get the 'flow' of the app.

Then try to fill in the gaps such that you now define what is special about your situation over and above the basic "starting point". i.e. Is there specialized piping in the walls to carry gases. Are there other than the requirements to building inspection? etc

I personally would try to write my own SOW.

Very important: Cannot be stressed LOUDLY enough from Pat Hartman:
"Be extremely careful if you want this project developed in Access because you'll get a lot of people who say they know Access who don't have a clue. "

Weekleyba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:17
Thank Martyh.
I'll take a look and see what I can find on developed apps for projects.
Not a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom