Solved Hobby Horse? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
Do we need a members hobbies forum? I've noticed a new user just sign up and he mentioned that his hobby was photography. I then recalled that Micron has an excellent thread running where he's building a ukulele for John, it's fascinating, and I pop in there from time to time to see what's going on. I wondered if anyone else has hobbies where they would like to post threads showing what they are up to, and where other's can participate. Hence a separate forum.

You could call it. Members hobbies, hobby horse, hobby corner, hobby table, hobby report, any other ideas for a name?

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:57
I like the idea and I would vote for Hobby Horse. Perfect name for a Beoom-Stick cowboy!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I like the idea and I would vote for Hobby Horse.

Maybe I should do a poll for a name, Oh wait, last time I did a poll, I got into trouble!

Last edited:

mamradzelvy

Local time
Today, 09:57
Hi!
Perhaps a better way to go about this would be to make a social forum section which would be accessible to people via request&approval.
I feel like many people wouldn't feel too comfortable disclosing aspects of their personal lives to the world wide web, and this could provide a sort of limited-access safe space.
(no, i'm not trying to be pc, just feel like this could be a more fruitful approach, considering how big the regulars vs. guest gap is)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I'd say we have a social section. It's called The Watercooler, but it's open to any member. I don't see the point of making any forum for general stuff an invitation-only type of thing. If you're not comfortable posting something anywhere (not just here) you ought not to. I take the view that WHATEVER I send off into the netherworld is subject to being read by ANYONE, thus I refrain from social media and saying a LOT of things I'd like to say.

As for a hobby forum, I like the idea a lot. It would be more focused on such things whereas the WC (I know, you Brits might read that as water closet!) is too general.
I might even chime in on the photography one - I used to teach level 1 at the local community college in the days when digital was just coming out.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Maybe I should do a poll for a name, Oh wait, last time I did a poll, I got into trouble!
Yeah, that one was none too popular...I enjoyed it but I can understand why others did not!

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, that one was none too popular...I enjoyed it but I can understand why others did not!

I thought of the question, then I thought, do a poll, then a list of questions just rolled out, none designed to be offensive, just comical, but like you I can see why some people didn't like it, and yes what I thought was funny at the time was obviously not funny in the long run. But you just can't help how your humour sometimes manifests itself. I mean, you can find the most macabre things funny - much to The Horror of others. But I do realise I owe everyone an apology for that. And I Apologise ...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Now I get it. I didn't realize 'pole' meant 'poll' and had nasty visions of some sort of dancing. :eek:
It wasn't so much the fact that a poll got you in trouble as much as what the poll was about.
Sometimes I compose a post, then once I get it out of my fingers, I feel better and delete before posting it. Might be an idea for some occasions ...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You DO know the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee...!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Now I get it. I didn't realize 'pole' meant 'poll'

I have been through and corrected my spelling mistake. One of The Perks of being a moderator, I can edit things everywhere and make my posts look relatively intelligent... I know you're tempted to respond to that remark, but don't forget, I have superpowers!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ah... But I can reverse your edits...😉
Anyway, see this thread from 2008.
The final page includes one of our most loved members redefining what a room-mate and indeed a football means. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom