How did "learning to code" become synonymous to "learning front end web development" for so many people? (1 Viewer)

brucemars858

Local time
Today, 16:41
At least it is what I see in the Austin area. I take part in a coding meetup that is flooded with web devs and aspiring "coders" who don't seem to know other things exist. The market is so flooded with jr. Web devs that it ended up helping me, but I see many struggling because of this to get their first gig. I guess there is no easy answer. I just can't help but wonder how this happened. Are other places seeing this trend?

There are many awesome coding applications, web dev is just one of many.

EDIT: This got a lot more attention than I thought it would. To be clear, I have nothing against web developers or people who want to be one. Go for it. Rather, I see people who do have a passion for coding tend to immediately go for web development, putting themselves in a seriously competitive situation when there are other areas in the industry that are lacking and as such, easier to break into.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:41
The biggest problem related to what you describe is "delusions of grandeur" (a.k.a. daydreams of success). People see the job as easy even though they might have absolutely NO sense of symmetry and NO sense of functionality. Just as there is a science of ergonomics regarding furniture and equipment, there is (or at least should be) a science of graphic ergonomics for screens.

As to the competitive nature of that industry... A friend taught me an old rule years ago about a common statement about how people flock to what looks like a cushy job (but isn't): The old rule about "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" doesn't include an explanation of how much deeper the manure is when you get there and actually step in it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
I think a lot of the "web devs and aspiring "coders" .." are from the 90's forward. There was no web to speak of before 90 and no databases on the web before ~95. So many of your "devs" are probably post internet introduction. And with social media, twitter, google, smart phone and apps that's all they are seeing/aware of. The programming looks simple because it's on every device and we're inundated with technological gadgets. You can close your garage door or set your pool temperature from anywhere in the world. Even your fridge and door bell can talk to you or send an email to whoever - and as Greta says blah, blah blah

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
It's the bright, shiny, new object syndrome. Plus, a complete lack of understanding that not all data needs to be accessible from everywhere at all times as well as no concept of what software development is all about. I don't develop software to please myself. I develop software that is going to save my client time or money or provide some value to HIM that he is willing to pay ME to develop. I can choose the platform or platforms I want to be technically competent with so if I don't want to do COBOL, I don't have to but if that is where the money is, it would be foolish to not do COBOL.

The best advice to aspiring programmers is to read the want adds. What skills are companies looking for and what are they willing to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom