How do I copy the design & fields of a form? (1 Viewer)

chablups

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
I have a table and a form that I designed. Now I need to copy all the fields and the design of the form I just created and give it another name so my partner can use the same design and fields, but put in his own information. Is it possible to copy just the design and the fields. If so, how do I do that? Thanks.

cagay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:49
Hi!,

I would do that by "IMPORT", open your MDB file, while your database window is open, select "FORMS" Object, don't select any form items in it. Point your mouse anywhere in the blank space and then "RIGHT" click your mouse, then select "IMPORT", follow onscreen instruction.

Hope this will help you,
cagay

R

Rich

Copy the form in the db window then just paste it with a new name, although the request sounds rather odd :confused:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:49
If you are using a shared copy of the database, copying the form won't give your partner a separate place to put his data. You need to copy the table(s) that the form is based on as well. Then you need to change the RecordSource for the form to point to the new table.

May I suggest that this is a poor approach. If you simply add twp new columns to the table to hold the NetworkID of the person adding/changing the record, you can both use the same table and isolate your "own" records as necessary.

chablups

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Pat and...

That's great Pat you understand why I want to do what I want to do, but we are not on a network. His computer is not networked with mine. So, if he uses the same form as me and adds stuff then when I copy his file to my computer it would overwrite any changes I had made in between, so I just want to create another file, with another name, that he can use, and then from time to time copy it to my computer and vice versa so we each have access to the others file when needed. Whew! Hope that makes sense. Also, Pat, you have been around forever, I remember you answering my questionss from a few years ago! Thanks for all your help.

chablups

Registered User.
Local time
Can't believe it's that complicated...

All I want to do is create the same form and table with a different name so my co-manager can enter info in the same design form on his computer (we are NOT networked), but we will have different "named" forms so that when I copy his form to my computer and vice versa they won't copy over one another. Pointing my form to a differnt RecordSource seems very complicated as per the help menu I looked at. Beyond my skills. Am I just going to have to re-create the whole thing and give in another name? Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:49
There is no need to duplicate any objects. To avoid overlying your .mdb you should give his a different name. But, inside they should be identical. When you copy his database to import his data, link to the table in his database rather than importing it. Run an append query that copies the data from the linked table to your table.

If the database is likely to change and you want your partner to get periodic updates, the best solution is to split the database into front end (with forms/reports/queries/...) and back end (with ONLY tables). That way, you can replace his front end without affecting any of his data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom