How do I fill out this Application Starter for Front/Back end handling? (1 Viewer)

Sampoline

Local time
Tomorrow, 07:29
I don't know if any other threads have talked about this program. http://www.peterssoftware.com/aps.htm

It's an application starter to automate handling of front/back end (Fe/Be) database startup requirements. Just wondering if anyone has used it before, and if it works well for them.

Also I had written to the email on Peter's website for some advice, but didn't receive anything back. If anyone here can help me instead, that would be appreciated.

In the database starter, there are a few fields to fill out. So I understand that the 1st field is for the path to my FE database. Whilst the 2nd field is for how many backups I want. And the 3rd field is the destination for where the FE will be stored locally on the user's computer. But what does the 4th field mean? Not too sure what was meant by "Workgroup file". And what am I supposed to be doing with the below-half of the form (from where it says "Open"). Not sure what I'm filling out there either.

Thanks in advance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
Hi. I'm not in front of a computer now. Can you post a screenshot of the form in question? Thanks!

Sent from phone...

Sampoline

Local time
Here you go:

1605153699805.png

So the fields are just confusing me a little.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Here you go:

View attachment 86568

So the fields are just confusing me a little.
Hi. The first empty box is the location of your master copy of the FE that the user will download as their local copy.

The second empty box (about workgroup) is only applicable to MDB files with ULS.

Sampoline

Local time
Hi. The first empty box is the location of your master copy of the FE that the user will download as their local copy.
Hi thanks. I understood that, I just removed the file location for privacy purposes. My actual question was more so around what the the other 3 empty fields meant.

Sampoline

Local time

The second empty box (about workgroup) is only applicable to MDB files with ULS.
Ok so, I only really need to fill out the Master and Local Destination fields? The rest aren't really required.

Also there is a button "Files to Compact / Backup"

1605154702592.png

When clicked, this opens:

1605154749645.png

How would I set this up, so that I can create backups? Say I choose 1 backup generation to be kept. In the 1st empty field of pic 2, am I putting the master FE location? And then in field below it "Backup to:" I'm putting the location that I want the backups to go?

Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok so, I only really need to fill out the Master and Local Destination fields? The rest aren't really required.

Also there is a button "Files to Compact / Backup"

View attachment 86569

When clicked, this opens:

View attachment 86570

How would I set this up, so that I can create backups? Say I choose 1 backup generation to be kept. In the 1st empty field of pic 2, am I putting the master FE location? And then in field below it "Backup to:" I'm putting the location that I want the backups to go?

Thanks.
In my humble opinion, there's no need to back up the FE. You need to put the info in there to back up the BE. You should keep a master copy of the FE in your possession. That would serve as your FE backup.

Sampoline

Local time
In my humble opinion, there's no need to back up the FE. You need to put the info in there to back up the BE. You should keep a master copy of the FE in your possession. That would serve as your FE backup.
Ok, sounds good. Thankyou!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom