How should I go ahead with my learnings (1 Viewer)

SachAccess

Local time
Today, 16:19
Hi,

I am completely new to Access. I have experience of working in Excel VBA.
I have very basic understanding of MS Access objects, like am aware that there are queries, tables, forms, report etc.
But my knowledge ends there.

Now I am required to work on Access projects too.
One advantage I have when I started Excel VBA was, I knew Excel front end very well.

This is not the case with MS Access, am new to both front end and Access coding, back-end as well.
And my works requires me to jump straight to coding part.
What will be your advice to me, I tried few YouTube videos but am more of a reader than a viewer.
Thanks a lot.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 11:49
Google normalization and get to understand it, else you will do everything the Excel way and come unstuck very very quickly.

SachAccess

Local time
Thanks for the @Gasman sir. Have a nice day ahead. :)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:49
Of course. Steve Bishop had a great series complete with working files. There are 79 videos in his beginner course and 40 in his advanced course.

Start here, best of luck!

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
access 2002 desktop developer's handbook

Is the best Access book written. Get a used copy for a couple bucks from Amazon.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Also if you look at the bottom of this thread there is a list of "Similar Threads". Look through those threads since there are lots of topics on this question. Or use the search feature on this site using terms like "Learning, Books, etc."

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:49
My blog on "Excel in Access" here:-

May prove useful.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:49
The others have pointed you towards various learning resources. I defer to their advice, but will add one comment of my own.

Access is a rapid application development (RAD) tool. Just because you CAN develop something with it quickly doesn't mean you should. Unlike Excel, where each cell on the worksheet is technically a separate entity, Access has stronger structural constraints on what you do. Access datasheets are NOT the same as Excel worksheets.

I am not saying that you should do absolutely nothing until you become an expert, because Access does allow you to do things at various levels of difficulty. But my best advice is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS plan carefully and familiarize yourself with whatever business process you are going to attack. There is an old phrase, "Haste makes waste." It might seem that you can jump right in and start building things, and actually, you can do that. However, if you are unfamiliar with your options, it is possible to go wrong. You can get so badly "lost in the weeds" with Access that it is not funny. The solution is to design first, review your design second, and implement third - even though it might appear that Access can let you operate faster than that. By the way, that advice isn't unique to Access. EVERY major programming project should be run with the same general rules. My late father-in-law was a carpentry contractor who lived by the old rule "Measure twice, cut once."

SachAccess

Local time
Hi @The_Doc_Man sir, thanks a lot for your help and time. I am re-reading your post to understand in details.
Have a nice day ahead. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom