How silly do I feel (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 21:17
I just spent a good 3 hours trying to find out why a complex sequence wasn't working correcly, I finally put my correct brain on to find I had forgot to requery the subform.
I'm now Writing a note to self Requery 100 times.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Two things.

1. This is the sort of thing that you miss once, and never again, as you mentally record the possibility
2. However, more importantly, it's hard to see why you would need to manually requery a subform. A subform should be self contained, and dependent only on something in the container form. Changing the container form should therefore automatically cause the subform to change as appropriate, and it shouldn't actually need requerying.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I sometimes think I'm a complete idiot when I do similar. Occasionally, people are brave enough to recognise and expose their error to the World as you have done. It is encouraging to see, we are all the same!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
20% of your time is spent coding, 80% eliminating the bugs.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Jon

true.

Not only that. maybe half the code you write is defensive. Error-handling of course, but not just error-handling. Sense-checking user input to prevent bad dates, bad data, blank data fields, duplicates and so on.

Code has to be robust, and fool-proof because somebody will do something you couldn't possibly expect them to do.

Dreamweaver

Local time
My probem was I was creiting a temp list in this case a random set of music files so when I opened my player and telling it to use the list which it happly did but as the main list on my main control where the list was created didn't match the list in the Music player I was scrathing my head as it wasn't playing ball.

In the end after I sorted it I went and completly redesigned the thing as I wasn't happy how long it took to apend a top15 to the temp table.

Dreamweaver

Local time
2021-01-10 (1).png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Not only that. maybe half the code you write is defensive.
I used to find I could rapidly create something looking good in Access. Then over a much longer period, find and fix bugs. I am learning JavaScript and React at the moment, and I am having a bug party.

Dreamweaver

Local time
As it goes this one I'm updating was part of a program I just released which I thought would be easy lol you always wanna add or impove this or that bit lol After over 20 years you would have thought I would have learnt my lesson :ROFLMAO:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:17
Ah, but remember: Experience is that which allows you to recognize your mistakes when you make them again.

- with a nod to Ambrose Bierce and The Devil's Dictionary

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I spent 15 minutes wondering why a simple recordset clone lookup from a combo box wasn't working today.
I had subtly renamed the combo after writing the code, and not actually reassigned/renamed the VBA event code.

Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom