How to contact the administrator (1 Viewer)

RexOfNapa

Local time
Today, 06:56
When I click Reply to a answer a responders question and click post I get a message saying it was blocked no matter the reply. Try later or contact the administrator but no way to contact him or her. So I'm trying to contact him thru a post. Sorry to every one else that gets this. Or maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. There is nothing out of order in the reply just Thanks a lot !!!
RexOfNapa

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:56
Hello, @RexOfNapa, I am one of the forum's moderators. Part of your problem might be that you have tried to do something before your account has reached a certain post lower limit. Were you trying to attach something to the reply? The forum software places limits on attachments and certain other actions. So... what - if anything - might have been special about your attempted reply?

I see your information, which appears to be a static IP address in Napa Valley. So far as I know, that is not one of the spots where have lots of SPAM sources and hack attempts. Our traceback tool would tell me if it thought you were on our "nasty" list, and it does not. So I have to at least initially believe you just tried something that isn't allowed to brand-new users. But the fact that you can post at all (because I can see your post) means that you aren't really blocked.

May I counsel patience and restraint here? Your problem SHOULD resolve itself pretty quickly. But avoid anything complex for the next few posts.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:56
When I click Reply to a answer a responders question and click post I get a message saying it was blocked no matter the reply. Try later or contact the administrator but no way to contact him or her. So I'm trying to contact him thru a post. Sorry to every one else that gets this. Or maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. There is nothing out of order in the reply just Thanks a lot !!!
RexOfNapa
Could also post a screenshot of what the reply would have been but just a picture no text, see if it lets you do that, on second thought as doc said it may not, but, if it did, that would be instructive and perhaps even have some entertainment value.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
Show us a screen grab of the actual message. Also, could it be a browser extension causing some issue?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:56
I think the mods here might be discontent with the quality of wine coming out of the Napa Valley...?

MsAccessNL

Local time
Today, 15:56
Show us a screen grab of the actual message. Also, could it be a browser extension causing some issue?
Hello Jon,

I have problems posting code. I get a warning about spam. The same happened to me at stack overflow. I have a feeling that is something to do with my language settings. almost everything i type at the moment gets a red underscore. I am from Holland, but most of my program settings are English (Windows to). I can't post the code because it will not be excepted.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hello Jon,

I have problems posting code. I get a warning about spam. The same happened to me at stack overflow. I have a feeling that is something to do with my language settings. almost everything i type at the moment gets a red underscore. I am from Holland, but most of my program settings are English (Windows to). I can't post the code because it will not be excepted.
Did you use the inline code or code buttons to add your code?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A different question: Can you post code now? Your thread count has crossed our threshold.

Kayleigh

Local time
Just wondering if it happens on this forum that old members are eventually deleted?
I happen to know a colleague of mine who has posted here in the past (joined in 2011) - I think last in 2018/9 and now I cannot locate them. Would that be because they've deleted their account or would they be knocked off automatically after being inactive for a while?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Would that be because they've deleted their account
That is possible, but not normally done. We normally remove the persons personal details, replacing their handle with a made up one. We do this to retain the knowledge provided.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Would that be because they've deleted their account or would they be knocked off automatically after being inactive for a while?
I am not aware of details, but my thoughts:
-possibly a member could delete his/her account
-a member can delete his/her individual posts
-we would dissuade deleting posts that have responses
-inactivity does not remove an account

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Kayleigh

Earlier this morning I permanently banned four accounts that had 0 posts, 0 profile messages, and their source IP was a commercial web site. Plus the account names were clearly a type of product advertising. They had been on the forum at least 4 months with no detectable activity which is how they lasted that long - but they cropped up when another member alerted us to their presence.

Therefore, yes we will ban members and deactivate their accounts. But my first paragraph tells you what criteria I used to remove them.

I have also banned a couple of accounts for explicit vulgarity of such an extreme nature as to imply a desire to commit a physically violent sex act against a member who dared to disagree with the person. Again, from your description of the account, I don't think it would have been banned for the "respect for members" rule.

However, Jon DID change the forum software from vBulletin to Xenforo. I don't recall exactly when it happened but it might have been after 2018. He tried to copy over all legit posts and members but who knows? If the account appeared inactive for some reason, it MIGHT have been skipped even though I know Jon said at the time that he would try to avoid doing that.

Can you tell us what name was used for your colleague's account?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
No users are removed unless specifically requested by that user. Removed users posts remain on the board, but the authors name gets deleted. The only exceptions to these rules are things like spam, vulgarity, threatening the forums and so on.

Kayleigh

Local time
I cannot remember the exact name of my colleague's account but I believe it was some variation of the name Mike and I think he joined between 2009-11. Some of his posts were related to recovering a password on a DB. I think there may have been queries about a school/student DB.
If you have any leads please do let me know.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, there is an immediate issue there. IF the only topics related to recovering DB passwords, at that time we were (and to a certain extent, still are) highly security conscious. There is a degree of liability in some areas, e.g. the USA, if someone assists in breaking into a database. Granted, it isn't impossible to do such a thing, but we might have suppressed the posts for security reasons.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Mike375 ???
There was a "Mike" with a handle very similar to that. I recall that he was an expert with MS Access Macros. He could do just about anything with them. It was a wonder to see, especially to me, as I avoid macros like the plague!!! I didn't realise how much you could do with them, if you got to understand them.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Wayne,
1669046242617.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom