How to copy data from One table to Another (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Today, 00:35
:eek:

If you read up about normalization you will have skipped a part if you think this is your solution, go back and read again. Again and then AGAIN!

:(

:mad:

Noooooooooooooooooooo, in a normalized database you DO NOT copy data from table to table... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No
No
No

This is bad
Real bad
Worse

How will you keep this data up to date?? You dont, unless you "simply" re-run the query -each and every time- a NIGHTMARE

Why dont you just use a "normal" query instead of this copy-ing stuff??
What if you don't want the data to be updated in the second table, such as capturing a field's value at a specific point in time and put it on a quote form that will not change no matter what the underlying field from the original table holds:

I have a product table with records that have a price in it. I want to put the product from the product table on a quote. then I need to update the price a few days later but cannot/do not want to change quoted the price on the first quote for that item on the quote. New quotes will use the new price from the product table the one updated a few days after the original quoted price on the first quote.

When a customer gets a price I have to hold that price for a period of time (Quote expiration date) after that I tell them the price has to be updated (or hold the price, depending on the customer's value to the company) and re-read the product table for the new pricing.

Simple right, now all I have to do is figure out how to get it done.

rshaw

Local time
Yesterday, 23:35
Had anyone had any luck or attempted i had created a form in excel i would like to use that same layout in a access form. is this possible? Or would I have to manually create the same form in Access? The reason i used excel as the box outlines were cleaner and i left blank spaces that i can actually use to populate the form once its in access

thanks in advance for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom