how to get started with sql server (1 Viewer)

Cowboy_BeBa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:12
Hi all

Im currently looking to take my access DB's to the next level. Going to start going with a mySQL back end and a web browser based front end (also looking into an app based front end later on)

Ive worked with mysql servers before. But they were all in University, so the servers were already set up, i just had access to them. So i know how to build a web based front end and connect to an to the mySQL back end. But im unsure how to set one up.

I get that it needs to be on a hosted server but would it be possible to turn my pc into a local sql server? If i do choose to go online, what type of webhosting would i need? would it be as simple as getting standard web hosting and putting all the files on through ftp. or would i need to install mysql on it?

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:12
Hi all

Im currently looking to take my access DB's to the next level. Going to start going with a mySQL back end and a web browser based front end (also looking into an app based front end later on)

Ive worked with mysql servers before. But they were all in University, so the servers were already set up, i just had access to them. So i know how to build a web based front end and connect to an to the mySQL back end. But im unsure how to set one up.

I get that it needs to be on a hosted server but would it be possible to turn my pc into a local sql server? If i do choose to go online, what type of webhosting would i need? would it be as simple as getting standard web hosting and putting all the files on through ftp. or would i need to install mysql on it?
For hosting on your own computer you could start here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/177129/beginner-geek-how-to-host-your-own-website-on-windows-wamp/

For hosted service, you just need to find a hosting service that covers the basics. I only have knowledge of my own service here:
https://www.names.co.uk/web-hosting

The basic package gives me all I need (mySQL, PHP etc - hosted on Linux platform). I'm a complete novice at website and was able to build sites based on mySQL content using PHP quite quickly and easily. This provider gives the option of Windows platform if you prefer that route (which I guess depends on if you are a PHP or dotnet kind of person :)).

Hope that at least gives you a started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom