Hyphenate values from two fields (1 Viewer)

iqJafa

Local time
Today, 14:23
Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in MS Access and trying to create a database for my sales. What I am trying to do but can't is this:

I want to create a table to record my sales, the first field would be the order number; withing each order, there would be one item or more. So in order to overcome the duplicate issue, I thought of adding an item number in another field, then another field to combine both numbers and that would be the order id and primary key.

Example:
Field 1 (order#) : Record1=1840; Record2=1840; Record3=1840
Field 2 (Item#): Record1= 01; Record2=02; Record3=03
Field 3 (Order ID): Record1=1840-01; Record2=1840-02; Record3=1840-03

Is there anyway I can achieve this?

Thank you, in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:23
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I think that would be the wrong approach. If you don't have it already, I would suggest using separate tables for each order item. If you're not familiar with the term "Normalization," I would recommend reading about it first before you continue with the design of your database.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:23
You would not create the third field, as you can always create it from the other two.?
Most systems would have an order table, and an order items table.
Have a google for the northwind db by microsoft.

iqJafa

Local time
You would not create the third field, as you can always create it from the other two.?
Most systems would have an order table, and an order items table.
Have a google for the northwind db by microsoft.
Thank you, I looked at this db in my access but it was depressing, I couldn't understand anything.

iqJafa

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I think that would be the wrong approach. If you don't have it already, I would suggest using separate tables for each order item. If you're not familiar with the term "Normalization," I would recommend reading about it first before you continue with the design of your database.
Thank you. As I understood from the search, that I need to create a seperate table for each order. But wouldn't that make hundreds of tables which is opposite to simplicty.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:23
Thank you. As I understood from the search, that I need to create a seperate table for each order. But wouldn't that make hundreds of tables which is opposite to simplicty.
Hi. You may have misunderstood it. You'll need one table for the Orders and another table for the Order Items - just two tables.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Here are the relationships from Northwind 2007
1633712038238.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:23
MS samples include so many poor practices, I rarely recommend them. I don't think this diagram is intelligible for someone who doesn't understand relationships. I can't see the relationships and I know what they should be.

@iqJafa,
In the picture above, look at Orders (row 1, column 2) and Order Details (row 2, column 4) and Products (row 3, column 1) and Customers. Those are the four tables you need in ANY order application.

Ignore the fact that most of the tables have a PK named ID which makes it impossible to map the PK/FK without seeing the diagram. Also ignore the poor naming standards. Object names should NEVER contain embedded spaces or special characters.

Last edited:

iqJafa

Local time
MS samples include so many poor practices, I rarely recommend them. I don't think this diagram is intelligible for someone who doesn't understand relationships. I can't see the relationships and I know what they should be.

@iqJafa,
In the picture above, look at Orders (row 1, column 2) and Order Details (row 2, column 4) and Products (row 3, column 1) and Customers. Those are the four tables you need in ANY order application.

Ignore the fact that most of the tables have a PK named ID which makes it impossible to map the PK/FK without seeing the diagram. Also ignore the poor naming standards. Object names should NEVER contain embedded spaces or special characters.
Hi, thank you. I have a very basic knowledge of relationships and so far failed to implement any, they didn't do or map anything. I am going to have to study this sample database more and try to create those four tables.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Think of it this way
A customer is a parent of Orders (Customer has none,1 or many orders)
An Order is a parent of OrderItems (Order has 1 or many orderitems)
An order Item is linked to a ProductItem, as it is the Product you are selling.

Start here https://www.google.com/search?q=acc...69i57j69i64.7979j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One of those is https://www.accesstogo.org.uk/Simple_Sales_Orders.html for a low cost?
Well worthwhile considering your lack of experience? It would take quite a while for you to create your own, and unless you are doing it to extend your knowledge, that is the route I would take?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Great find Gasman. Very reasonable pricing also.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Great find Gasman. Very reasonable pricing also.
I have no idea as to how good it might be, but they offer a free trial, so if nothing else, might give some ideas?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Gasman I downloaded a copy out of interest and seems very easy to navigate. Cost 95 Pounds

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, and if I needed such system, I would try it out, and if it was enough for me, I'd pay that price?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I down loaded a free version and was able to view the tables. They were properly normalized but the column names had prefixes which just gets in the way of Intellisense and DS views and would only annoy me if I wanted to expand the app. I don't have a current need for any of them or I would have bought one just to look at the code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom