I want to see the name not the Id (1 Viewer)

Lily21

Local time
Today, 09:57
Hi,

I have a form created from a table, I use a query to filter a list of my field (Multiselect list). When I do new record I see the name of my field, but when I come back to change a record, I see the Id and no more the name. How I can fix that ?

Capture d’écran (1).png

Yes I Tried a new post here because the other forum someone told me that I will not get an answer because most of them who help don't use multi value fields.

Thank youu !

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:57
you need to bring your table in design view.
change the datatype of the field in question to Short Text.

on the Lookup tab, modify the select statement o include only the "res x" fieldname.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:57
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Are you able to post a sample copy of your db?

arnelgp

Local time
you can always create a sample?
see table1, "res" field has a lookup (on tblLookup).
see in design view.

Attachments

• multivalue.accdb
    428 KB · Views: 105

Lily21

Local time
I can't use Text Field because it will crash all my other work (queries)
My DB is too large

But I use this query linked to show my form :
SELECT Créer_Projet.Id, Créer_Projet.Projet, Créer_Projet.Chef, Créer_Projet.Nom_ressources, Créer_Projet.Équipement,
FROM Créer_Projet;

And I tried to INNER JOIN with the other tables to show names not ID and it doesnt work : in my form its shows nothing if I do that.

Chef
Nom_ressources
Équipement
This fields are my mutivalued select list and I fill them with other tables (Id_Chef, Name_Chef) for exemple

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:57
I would recommend that you get rid of the MultiValue Field as suggested by others.

You need to sort it out now as you are sure to encounter similar problems in the future.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I can't use Text Field because it will crash all my other work (queries)
My DB is too large

But I use this query linked to show my form :
SELECT Créer_Projet.Id, Créer_Projet.Projet, Créer_Projet.Chef, Créer_Projet.Nom_ressources, Créer_Projet.Équipement,
FROM Créer_Projet;

And I tried to INNER JOIN with the other tables to show names not ID and it doesnt work : in my form its shows nothing if I do that.

Chef
Nom_ressources
Équipement
This fields are my mutivalued select list and I fill them with other tables (Id_Chef, Name_Chef) for exemple
Where are you located?

Lily21

Local time

moke123 :​

yes i read i was hoping that there is maybe a solution.. so I need to abandon MVF ? because my project is for exemple to permit the user to choose more than one equipment to do a reservation.

theDBguy :​

Canada, sorry for the french query.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time

@theDBguy :​

Canada, sorry for the french query.
Since you said your db is too big to post, I was going to offer remote assistance, if you can't sort it out through the suggestions you get from here.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:57
As the author of the article in the link provided, I'm also going to repeat the same comment.
Get rid of the MVFs now. However much work it seems to do so, keeping them will cause you endless problems in the future.
Move each of those values into a new table with one value in each record and create a one to many relationship to the original table.

Two other things to avoid are attachment fields (another type of MVF) and lookup fields at table level

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes I would like to
Okay, evaluate all the suggestions you were given and let me know if you still want/need any assistance after that.

I am in the U.S. and in Pacific Time Zone. I can't do it today, but maybe available tomorrow. Feel free to send me an email, if you like.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In summary, to get rid of a MVF, you first need to create a junction table where the relationship between the two tables will be stored. In reality, Access has built this table already. The problem is that they have hidden it from you so to disentangle yourself, you need to reproduce it and populate it. Then you would use a subform rather than a multi-select listbox.

arnelgp

Local time
ok it can be done without changing the datatype of the field.
bring the table in design view and click on the "res" field.
goto Lookup tab (below).

Column Widths: 0; 1" (if you use cm 0cm;2.54cm).

if you are using Form, do the same to the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom