Solved IIF 3 conditions (1 Viewer)

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:06
I am trying to get a total deducted field in my query. Here is my SQL statement that doesn't work...

Code:
TotalDeducted: IIF([Requirement_Satisfied]=True, "0", IIF(([Requirement_Other_Than_Satisfied]=True),[Requirement_Score], ([Requirement_Special_Considerations_Satisfied=True], [Requirement_Special_Considerations_Score]))

I am trying to evaluate 3 distinct conditions. Only one can be met. If the Requirement is satisfied, I want the Total deducted to be 0, if it is "Other than satisfied", I want the value from "Requirement_Score", and if only the "Special_Considerations_Satisfied" is met, I want the value from Requirement_Special_Considerations_Score.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 03:06
If the Requirement is satisfied, I want the Total deducted to be 0, if it is "Other than satisfied", I want the value from "Requirement_Score", and if only the "Special_Considerations_Satisfied" is met, I want the value from Requirement_Special_Considerations_Score.
you have forgotten the "IF FALSE" argument portions of the function! =) (not to mention a syntax error you probably didn't see)

Code:
IIF([Requirement_Satisfied]=True, "0",

iif([Requirement_Other_Than_Satisfied]=True,[Requirement_Score],

iif([Requirement_Special_Considerations_Satisfied]=True, [Requirement_Special_Considerations_Score], 0)))
that might solve your issue, and it might not. it sounds to me like what you want could be a lot more complicated than what I just gave you. your description is a bit unclear as to what you need, actually. but give that a try first.

Last edited:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:06
making code readable, what a novel idea, dont forget to remove the surplus ")"

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
me myself and I and maybe the ts certainly not your perfect readable code :)

The Rev

Registered User.
Local time
you have forgotten the "IF FALSE" argument portions of the function! =) (not to mention a syntax error you probably didn't see)

Code:
IIF([Requirement_Satisfied]=True, "0",

iif([Requirement_Other_Than_Satisfied]=True,[Requirement_Score],

iif([Requirement_Special_Considerations_Satisfied]=True, [Requirement_Special_Considerations_Score], 0)))
that might solve your issue, and it might not. it sounds to me like what you want could be a lot more complicated than what I just gave you. your description is a bit unclear as to what you need, actually. but give that a try first.

Worked like a charm! Exactly what I needed it to do. Thanks brother!!

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
In the first case you return a nz value of "0" but all else seem to be actual numeric. If you meant 0 then use 0, if not it may sort that whole column as string.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
is that a dig on a christian brother? =( nothing is perfect. ;)
certainly no dig, maybe a reference to you fixing your post :)

Also, having readable code is a personal pet peave of mine that really gets my blood boiling.
I just cannot understand how people in this case post a double nested IIF without alligning it and making it readable.
Readable code in 9 times out of 10 will prevent errors like this.

At my workplace my name has become a proverb for making code readable, readable code is maintainable code

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I just cannot understand how people in this case post a double nested IIF without alligning it and making it readable.
I'm not sure, mailman. are you saying that mine is good or the OP's is good?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I am trying to evaluate 3 distinct conditions. Only one can be met.

The second sentence contradicts the first. If only one can be, they are not distinct, they are related. Nearsightedness, Eczema and deafness are 3 distinct conditions; having one has no bearing on having the other 2.

Being left hand dominant, right hand dominant, ambidextrous and handless are mutually exclusive; you can only be and must be one. In a database I would not store Left Handed/Right Handed/Ambidextrous/Handless in their own fields. I would have one field named [DominantHand] and those 4 values would be the values acceptable to that field.

If your 3 conditions are mutually exclusive (as in the dominant hand example) I believe you might be storing your data incorrectly for this. Instead of 3 boolean fields to say which of those 3 are meet, you should have just 1 text field that says which condition is meet. Then if the related score for each of those 3 values is the same for all records you would have a table to hold those scores and link to it instead of using your complex IIF statements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom