I'm new (and still shiny) (1 Viewer)

Joe Boatman

Local time
Today, 14:09
Smart Me sml.jpg
I've retired from Access Database work. I have loads of routines that I want to publish in order to help others and save them hundreds of frustrating hours of VBA coding. So in January, I created a website on Google Sites thinking that Google would crawl all over it and this would benefit others - but since its inception in January, the total number of visitors, is, ZERO :confused: and it's not even possible to search for a phrase that I know is on that site!

I'm hoping that here I can create articles and upload code that put the many VBA irritants in Access melt before your eyes!

Ho ho! This is not a good start - this forum cannot publish my text because it is "spam-like or contains inappropriate elements." No hints on why. I guess that taming this entry is like all the years I've been taming VBA.
I'll remove the hyperlink to my Google Sites website. Ah, now it's OK :)

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Joe,
We have had a fair few spammers recently posting links, so Jon the site owner has put a limit, before you can post any links. I believe it is 10 at present.

Welcome, as well. It is a pleasant change to get a new member who is giving rather than just taking. :)

Seems you might have already helped a another new member.? (y)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:09
Welcome Joe. Glad to have you aboard.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
We have had a fair few spammers recently posting links, so Jon the site owner has put a limit, before you can post any links. I believe it is 10 at present.

Hi Joe, and welcome to Access World Forums. (AWF) - I must apologise for the difficulty that you are having posting a link, however it's not setup to cause you annoyance, but to stop spam, which I believe you would agree, is even more annoying! Jon, the forum owner recently went to a lot of trouble and expense and upgraded the forum software, in the process he removed the 10 post link rule for new posters, which was a feature of the old software.

However I can tell you it didn't take long for the spanners to find out, and we were inundated with spam, resulting in the rule being reinstated. Now, we still get spam, but they are blatantly obvious because the spammer usually posts 10 meaningless posts which are very easy to spot.

A side effect of the 10 post rule is the moderators have a bit of fun at the expense of the spammer. You see this poor unfortunate spammer go to a lot of trouble crafting her/his 10 posts ready to Spring spam on us, and just at the moment s/he achieves the goal and releases the spam, Wham a moderator wipes them out! it's quite satisfying! So I'm in favour of the 10 post rule, mainly because it makes a boring job quite fun!

Regarding your link, if you want to edit your post, paste in the link, broken up so to speak, in text sections so it doesn't trigger the link detector, I can then edit it into to a link (I think)...

I for one, would be very interested to peruse your website, and I think I can post it places where it will be found more easily and hopefully boost your hits.

Regarding not being able to search your website, I'm guessing you're using the new Google website software? I have several old Google websites and they are brilliant, and I am reluctant to lose them. I don't know what Google's intentions are, but I'm sure they will phase them out one day...

Joe Boatman

Local time
Thank you Uncle Gizmo - I appreciate your reply, especially after getting no views at all on Google Sites website which is at www.adrianprice.co.uk (if you can re-assemble that). At least if you visit it I will get 1 hit!!

Do you think the site owner could have trusted contributors? Anyway, your guidance will be very helpful.

Aha! I posted it without getting told off :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamweaver

Local time
Hi Joe Welecome Aboard, Send Me the link And I'll have a look and add it to my sites links

mick

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Joe, welcome to AWF.
If I may, I have a request about your posts - if you must colour your text, please consider how it looks for those of us who use the dark theme here. I have to assume you did that because only your first post has different coloured text. Blue is not impossible to see but you can probably imagine what black font looks like to those of us on the dark side and we get that one sometimes. Actually, the picture I'm posting seems to look much better than the real thing so trust me when I tell you that real thing is harder to read than what this pic indicates.
Thanks in advance.

blueText.jpg

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Looking at Adrian's website I noticed this:-

"Common Irritants" is a particularly useful page. I didn't know about the integer overflow issue see more here:-

However I did start using the long data type a few years ago as opposed to using the integer type because I have had one or two problems with integer. I'm wondering if it was something akin to the issue mentioned here by Adrian...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Many years ago a guy used integer for an employee number where I worked. Since those numbers are never used again, the count just kept climbing until one day, the value surpassed the limit and his db stopped working, raising that error. Since he was gone and I was an Access go-to guy, I had to through his various db's and change the property. Moral of the story - integer is fine for some things like loop counters, but I see limited use as a table field property if at all.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
. I didn't know about the integer overflow issue

See this Post HERE:-

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Joe
Belated welcome to AWF.
You now have another website hit as I've just had a look at your site.
I will send you a comment about some of the items in the next day or so.

If you intend to be an AWF regular, you could add a link to your website in your signature line...as I do below

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
you could add a link to your website in your signature line...as I do below

Good advice from Colin as usual.

I would add, your signature is not visible to guest visitors, and as the majority of people who visit the site are guests, take as many opportunities as you can to post links to your website in threads.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Belated welcome to Awf Adrian.
Do you prefer Adrian or Joe?

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 03:09
Joe, i had a look at your website too & have added it to my favourites. As an enthusiastic amateur, i appreciate your generosity. I wish i were in a position to 'give back' to the community. Cheers.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:09
Hello, Joe, and welcome to the forum.

I retired over 5 years ago but I still visit, still post suggestions, still pass along what little wisdom I can muster on a typical day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom