Images from table query? (1 Viewer)

Jacko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:43
Hiya,
I have a database that has forms with pictures on them, the picture files are located on the hard drive and i post the path to these in the table, when i select a diferent option from the combobox in the form the textboxes and picture change accordingly and do as i wish, so, my query is :
in the table i have a field for "photos" and in that field i have to place the path to the desired image for example " c:\mydatabase\images\image1.jpg" and this works fine but what i wish to do is place it on our network which has a "p:\ drive " and this means i will have to change the path, is there a way i can have the table still show the image by means of it knowing what drive its on as default? still with me?
ie: %root\images\image1.jpg so i dont have to specify the drive letter and no matter what drive the database is located on it will show the image providing the folder is there.....clear.??? any help appriciated..thanx

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 06:43
Universal Naming Convention is your friend

P:\ is just the reference for the network drive on your computer. Someone else may have it as Y:\, or F:\. Your network drive should have a UNC or 'real' name, something like
\\ThisMachine\ThisDrive\ThisFolder\ThisFile.txt

If you can refer to it that way (try looking in properties or browsing down from Network, not the mapped P:\ drive connection), you should be able to access it from anywhere on the network, unless they change the machine.

Jacko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:43
Thanx for the reply David...:)
Aware of what you are saying ie: \\FS_test\ThisFolder\ThisFile.txt
etc but point i missed is that thats fine on the network, but i sometimes work on this at home and dont want to have to go in and change things related to that when either at home or on the network, what i'm looking for is a way of placing it either on my home drive or network drive and have it pick up its location providing the folder is on the root of that drive ( i'm lazy you see )
I could change my drive at home to p: also as a last resort but if there is another way...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom