Images in a database? possible? (1 Viewer)

samuk

Local time
Today, 08:07
Hi

I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to databases

I work for a small print company, and we currently list to Amazon and eBay.
The data base has all the information for our products/images we sell as art.

I have been asked to find out if it is possible to see images per line of data in our database.

We have thumbnails saved in a location.

Ideally we wish we could scroll through the lines of data via table or report and then see a visual thumbnail. We wish to click the thumbnail which would then load the item bigger.

We have the SKU in the database
We have all thumbnails named as the SKU all in same folder.
We have all full res images named as the SKU all in same folder.

So is this possible?
How difficult, and any pointers or links to guides would be appreciated

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:07
Hi. Definitely possible. You could try using the Application.FollowHyperlink command or maybe view the images on a form using a Picture control.

samuk

Local time
Thank you for your reply, I could look into that certainly and that's helpful.

Just to understand a bit more regarding the form...

Am I right in thinking a form (we don't use them currently) will display 1 record at a time, and thus i would need to click through records seeing a image at a time?

Or is there a way to do a form that lists all products.

To clarify what I am after, If your familiar with CSV's for ebay, amazon or websites, I have this info in a database and would almost like to display it like ebay would in a search.

This would allow me to analysis visually what top sellers are etc, as we update our data.

thank you

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 01:07
A form in continuous mode would allow you to do this.
You would probably want to keep a path to the file instead of saving the image file in your database though. This avoids issues with database bloat and allows you to manipulate connected files much more easily.

Example would be, rather than saving "ProductThumbnail" in your record you save "PathToProductThumbnail" as a string. You then have an image control on your form that uses PathToProductThumbnail to load the image when the record is displayed.

One benefit is that when you back up your database you only back up the data, not redundant copies of images.

samuk

Local time
Thanks for all the info guys,
Now that I know its possible, its on my list of jobs to look at, so I'll ask some more details shortly.
thank you

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:07
You my find this link useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom